First Lange Boutique Commemorates 10th Birthday With Special Edition

White Gold

The first A. Lange & Söhne Boutique was inaugurated in Dresden ten years ago in September 2007. To mark the occasions there will be a limited edition of the 1815, ten watches each in pink and white gold. The special feature of the 1815 anniversary model is the hinged cuvette with an engraving of the Dresden Frauenkirche.

The boutique is directly adjacent to the Dresden Frauenkirche, a landmark of the baroque city which was restored between 1994 and 2005. It’s in Dresden where Ferdinand Adolph Lange worked as a watchmaker before he moved to Glashütte in 1845 with the intention of crafting the world’s finest timepieces in his newly established manufactory.

Additionally, the inauguration signaled a foray into new international markets. Just a few months later, the doors of the second brand embassy opened in Shanghai. Today, there are 17 Lange boutiques in the world’s most vibrant cities.

The special model of the 1815 in a 38.5-millimetre white or pink-gold case also stands for tradition and transition. At first sight, it is a classic 1815 with a well-organized dial, subsidiary seconds, and blued steel hands reminiscent of the design of historic pocket watches.

The watch features decorative ribbing of the three-quarter plate made of untreated German silver, the gold chatons secured with thermally blued screws, the classic screw balance and the hand-engraved balance cock with the whiplash spring.

The name of the watch represents Ferdinand Adolph Lange’s birth year. It pays tribute to the visionary founder as does the engraved hinged cover in solid gold, another hallmark of historic pocket watches. Originally, the dust cover, known as a cuvette, served to protect the movement.

In the era of water-resistant sapphire-crystal case-backs that reveal artistically finished movements, it has a new purpose with a freehand engraving of the Dresden Frauenkirche. Destroyed in the war and re-inaugurated on 30 October 2005, the principal oeuvre of Saxon architect George Bähr now stands for a new beginning as a symbol of peace and reconciliation. This aspect is closely related to the successful new start of A. Lange & Söhne in the 1990s.

Visit A. Lange & Sohne

Comments

comments