WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My introduction to Manufacture Prim 1949

I have been living in Japan for more than a decade. I began collecting watches only a few years ago. Up until last year my modest collection has consisted only of Japanese watches, from Casio G Shock to Grand Seiko. Last year I purchased my first Swiss watch, an Omega Speedmaster Mark II reissue. As my collection has grown, so has my appreciation for watches in general. I enjoy owning many types of watches that offer different features and complications.

In 2015 I first chanced upon Prim in a Japanese watch magazine. The article provided a brief history of the company and a list of its' current models and calibres. The Diplomat, Pavouk, and Spartak models were highlighted. I found the designs to be simple and appealing, but I gave no further thought to it.

Fast forward to the present. Again, Prim was mentioned in another Japanese magazine. This time I decided to visit the Prim website. It would appear that Prim has continued to grow, develop, and expand their line of wrist watches. They now offer watches in precious metals and also produce some very interresting, very limited editions. I was drawn to the Legacy 1.

In my case, the watch proved to be very interesting from many different perspectives. The Legacy 1 is a very simple concept in both design and execution. A three hand, manual wind movement, with a simple dial. However, the dial is executed perfectly to my taste. The white enamel of the dial compliments the thermally blued hands with centre seconds and the railroad minute track on the outer periphery. The stylized arabic numerals complete the design. I feel that all of the design elements work together in harmony. In concert with the classic design of the dial, the case is of stainless steel and 38.5 mm in diameter.

The manual winding calibre 93, a manufacture movement, is also simple in design. Requring only 17 jewels and running at 21,600 bph, the Legacy 1 features a movement finished in gilt 18K red gold. A sapphire glass case back provides a much appreciated window into the workings of the calibre 93.

But this is more than a simple exhibition case back. The Legacy 1 is a tribute to the Czech architect Jan Letzel and one of his most famous designs; the Hiroshima Prefectural Commercial Exhibition Hall. The sapphire glass, produced in Bohemia, is intricately etched with a likeness of the Exhibition Hall. The Hall was completed in 1915, but almost completely destroyed when the city was devastated by the atomic bomb. Since then the remains of the Hall have come to be known as The Atomic Bomb Dome. I am not sure of the process involved in producing the artwork on the case back. But it is most interesting in that depending on the angle of the light, it is almost transparent, allowing the movement to be fully viewed and appreciated. Viewed from a different angle, a frontal view of the Hall can be enjoyed. Also, dates marking the 100th anniversary of the completion of the Hall, the name of the architect, and the serial number of this limited edition of 100 pieces. Acutally, there are two limited editions. One for the Japanese market is inscribed with "Czech to Hiroshima". Outside of Japan the inscription reads "Hiroshima to Czech".

I had a number of questions before decicing to purchase this watch. The sales staff at Prim answered my questions promptly and courteously. My thanks to Prim and their staff.

In Japan, Prim watches are distributed by Brains Corporation. In turn there are, as of this writing, eight authorized dealers throughout Japan. I purchased my watch in Fukuoka, Japan.

The authorized dealer was both helpful and forthcoming. Prior to purchase he placed the watch in a movement tester. The results will be shown below.

Now for the particulars and some photos.

Manufacturer: Prim
Model: Legacy 1 / Hiroshima Limited Edition
Movement; Prim Kalibr 93. A manufacture movement with 17 jewels, 55 hours power reserve, 21,600 bph. Hours, minutes, and center seconds display. Daily rate; -6 +24 sec/day. Gilt finish in 18K red gold
Diameter; 38.5 mm
Strap; Black, Blue, or Grey Crocodile
Water resistance; 5 ATM
Resistance to magnetism; N/A

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The authorized dealer in Fukuoka Japan. The Prim display is on the right side of the store at the entrance.

Tenshodo shop 800.jpg

The Prim displays

Prim display 1800.jpg

Prim display 2 800.jpg

The Legacy 1 / Hiroshima Limited Edition

WAS 1800.jpg

WAS 2 800.jpg

WAS 4 800.jpg

WAS 5 800.jpg

WAS 6 800.jpg

WAS 3 800.jpg

On the movement tester

Watch Accuracy 1 800.jpg

The magazine that introduced me to Prim

WatchNavi 2015 Autumn 800.jpg

WatchNavi pg 92 800.jpg

WatchNavi pg 93 800.jpg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An update to the purchase of my Prim Hiroshima.

In November of 2020, I was winding and cleaning my watch when I noticed something odd. The seconds hand was moving erratically.

Prim Hiroshima

Needless to say, I found this quite disconcerting. I contacted Prim. A representative replied promptly and instructed me to return the watch for inspection and service. I left the watch with my authorized dealer who forwarded it to Prims' Japanese distributor. After a period of only six weeks, the dealer contacted me. The watch had been repaired and was ready for pickup. Although the exact cause was not determined, the watch received a complete overhaul.

I immediately noticed a difference when I wound the watch. The winding action was very, very smooth, and had a beautiful sound. Also, the daily rate was noticeably improved.

My thanks to Prim Manufacture of the Czech Republic and Brains Corporation of Japan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’ve been looking at the Prim Orlik II, but being in Canada have no idea how to buy...
If you don’t mind me asking, what were the prices like?
Also, how’s the sizing? The Orlik II is listed at 54.3 mm lug to lug, which seems quite long

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve been looking at the Prim Orlik II, but being in Canada have no idea how to buy...
If you don’t mind me asking, what were the prices like?
Also, how’s the sizing? The Orlik II is listed at 54.3 mm lug to lug, which seems quite long
If you haven't already, I would recommend the Prim website. It is available in an English version. Also, you can locate a distributor in your country.

Prim seem to be rather coy about pricing on their website. And I would imagine prices can vary from country to country.

Prim advertises the Orlik 38 Caliber 105. It has a case diameter of 38 mm and lug to lug of 49 mm. It may be more to your taste.

Best regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts