WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

Registered
Minase will NEVER have a GS movement inside, be it a 9S or even a 8L series. I'll be happy to eat my own words if it ever happens, but you better not hold your breath in the meantime.

The only higher grade Japanese movement I can see having a minimal chance of being used here would be new 6L35, but even that is a very far-fetched idea. The best option really is the old 4L25, now known as the Soprod A10.

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
Minase will NEVER have a GS movement inside, be it a 9S or even a 8L series. I'll be happy to eat my own words if it ever happens, but you better not hold your breath in the meantime.

The only higher grade Japanese movement I can see having a minimal chance of being used here would be new 6L35, but even that is a very far-fetched idea. The best option really is the old 4L25, now known as the Soprod A10.
+1. A modified Soprod A10 would likely get a few off their back, but for the foreseeable I have to issue the caution, to buy a Minase with the movement high up the totem pole is to set yourself up for disappointment. And that's perfectly fine, plenty of other great alternatives with higher-end movement to choose from, but if you're after metalwork that's amongst the best of the best, the Minase will not disappoint.

Registered
There's nothing stopping Miyota from making a premium movement to match the 9S series.
But the 9000 series is really the best they have on offer to watch companies. Maybe it's just not worth their time and investment to make a high-beat movement or a chronometer-like movement.
If they could and Minase used such a movement instead, then that would be very compelling.

Reactions: En_Nissen

Registered
There's nothing stopping Miyota from making a premium movement to match the 9S series.
But the 9000 series is really the best they have on offer to watch companies. Maybe it's just not worth their time and investment to make a high-beat movement or a chronometer-like movement.
If they could and Minase used such a movement instead, then that would be very compelling.
While there's nothing to stop Citizen from doing it, there's one very important thing that will stop the market from buying a truly high end Miyota movement: brand stigma. A Miyota eye-to-eye competitor to the GS movements would be like Kia aiming the Stinger at a 911 GT3 RS instead of a M3... And that's suicide. Badge snobbery is real.

+1. A modified Soprod A10 would likely get a few off their back, but for the foreseeable I have to issue the caution, to buy a Minase with the movement high up the totem pole is to set yourself up for disappointment. And that's perfectly fine, plenty of other great alternatives with higher-end movement to choose from, but if you're after metalwork that's amongst the best of the best, the Minase will not disappoint.
Yep, there's a metric ton of watches out there that appeal to the specs brigade. The "specs" of these Minase can't be found on a website or in terms of meters or beats per second. These watches appeal to a whole different group of watch enthusiasts...

Registered
Here's a limited edition that Minase are currently offering called the "Master Craft Series". Apparently it's a remake of a line they did in 2008.
Houses either a 2824 or a SW200 for about $2300. It's not a bargain, but you can't say it's unreasonable and it's playing in lower-end Tudor territory, which I think is a fair comparison. The interesting thing is it measures 39x36x10.5, so it's wider than longer. I imagine it would fit extremely nicely on slim wrists and under cuffs.

The only thing they could do to knock it out of the park would be to make one of their amazing bracelets with fitted end links for it.
Unfortunately, they only offer it with a choice of coloured leather straps:

Registered
Really striking watches. I hadn't heard of it previously but really like the style.

Registered
Here's a limited edition that Minase are currently offering called the "Master Craft Series". Apparently it's a remake of a line they did in 2008.
Houses either a 2824 or a SW200 for about $2300. It's not a bargain, but you can't say it's unreasonable and it's playing in lower-end Tudor territory, which I think is a fair comparison. The interesting thing is it measures 39x36x10.5, so it's wider than longer. I imagine it would fit extremely nicely on slim wrists and under cuffs.

The only thing they could do to knock it out of the park would be to make one of their amazing bracelets with fitted end links for it.

View attachment 15727329

View attachment 15727331
When did they announce this? It鈥檚 definitely a great entry level for the brand.

Premium Member
The interesting thing is it measures 39x36x10.5, so it's wider than longer.
That is very interesting indeed. I suspect that they're including the crown in the diameter, or they're measuring the lug-to-lug from spring bar to spring bar instead of lug tip to lug tip. Because looking at these photographs, it seems almost impossible for the diameter to be larger than the lug tip to lug tip!

Update:
For my own amusement, I measured this image and the ratio of the diameter (3 o'clock to 9 o'clock, crown excluded) to the lug tip to lug tip is about 560 px / 625 px. Including the crown is about 605/625, so not sure what they're using as a measuring points.

I considered picking up one of these to review a while back, but given that they appear to only be available on crocodile leather straps, I didn't want to go through the hassle of dealing with CITES and import regulations.

For more details:

Registered
Yeah but remember the price will go up the more you spend on the movement. Remember each piece of that bracelet is hand made and polished/brushed by hand. The pieces of the case are also hand done. As is that hammered copper dial. And remember, the dial has a lot of different pieces of copper on the dial. All that labor adds up.

The price premium you pay for an ALS, PP, Piaget, etc isn't the movement, it's the labor for all the hand finishing. Minase offers a lot of handwork for the price.

View attachment 15727329

View attachment 15727331
Minase's straps are hand made by two strap makers under their employ and of all the straps I've had, Minase is tied with Credor for the best.

When did they announce this? It鈥檚 definitely a great entry level for the brand.
It's on the Japanese version of their site. I suspect it's for JDM only. There is a lot of stuff on the English site, but the Japanese site has even more.

Reactions: yellowfury

Registered
That is very interesting indeed. I suspect that they're including the crown in the diameter, or they're measuring the lug-to-lug from spring bar to spring bar instead of lug tip to lug tip. Because looking at these photographs, it seems almost impossible for the diameter to be larger than the lug tip to lug tip!

View attachment 15727548

View attachment 15727549

I considered picking up one of these to review a while back, but given that they appear to only be available on crocodile leather straps, I didn't want to go through the hassle of dealing with CITES and import regulations.

For more details:

I didn't have issues with mine. Though mine came from Japan with a stop in Switzerland.

Reactions: singularityseven

Registered
Yes, there is something off about the measurements Minase provide.
Lug to lug and diameter with crown appear to be near-even in size.
What's certain though is the lug to lug is very short at close to 40mm and sure to be good for small wrists.

Registered
Yeah but remember the price will go up the more you spend on the movement. Remember each piece of that bracelet is hand made and polished/brushed by hand. The pieces of the case are also hand done. As is that hammered copper dial. And remember, the dial has a lot of different pieces of copper on the dial. All that labor adds up.

The price premium you pay for an ALS, PP, Piaget, etc isn't the movement, it's the labor for all the hand finishing. Minase offers a lot of handwork for the price.

Minase's straps are hand made by two strap makers under their employ and of all the straps I've had, Minase is tied with Credor for the best.

It's on the Japanese version of their site. I suspect it's for JDM only. There is a lot of stuff on the English site, but the Japanese site has even more.
I didn't have issues with mine. Though mine came from Japan with a stop in Switzerland.
I just confirmed with them online that the master craft series is JDM. How did you manage to get it shipped to you?

Registered
I just confirmed with them online that the master craft series is JDM. How did you manage to get it shipped to you?
Sorry, I meant the strap on my Minase 15th Anniversary. I don't have a master craft. The strap came with my watch. Well, I had to have them make me a longer one. I bought it through the Swiss dealer so it went Yuzuwa to Bienne to me in the US. I didn't do anything and based off the customs form there didn't seem to be anything extra done.

I presume the Swiss dealer could probably get their hands on a master craft. Minase's small enough I doubt they are going to be as fussy as Citizen or Seiko about never letting a JDM out to the heathens across the seas. 馃槃

Or you could always use a Japanese AD or reseller.

Reactions: yellowfury

Registered
Discussion Starter #56
+1. Hand finishing isn't something that's always readily apparent, but like a beautiful movement behind a solid caseback, you can appreciate it's there. To hand finish the whole watch, including countless surfaces with the Sallaz, without the economy of scale, there's a strong case to be made for the value proposition.

Registered
+1. Hand finishing isn't something that's always readily apparent, but like a beautiful movement behind a solid caseback, you can appreciate it's there. To hand finish the whole watch, including countless surfaces with the Sallaz, without the economy of scale, there's a strong case to be made for the value proposition.
View attachment 15729807
That reflection does a great job showing the difference between the polished and brushed pieces on the case and dial. And let's be honest, how many new watches have you seen with THAT level of mirror finishing?

And if you look carefully you can see the skin behind the dial too. Great pic.

Also kudos on the almost getting the hammered copper to show. :ROFLMAO:

41 - 57 of 57 Posts