WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

🗾🔰 Minase Owners Thread 🔰🗾

Tags
minase
78K views 734 replies 69 participants last post by  sleepyhead123 
#1 ·
#46 ·
Here's a limited edition that Minase are currently offering called the "Master Craft Series". Apparently it's a remake of a line they did in 2008.
Houses either a 2824 or a SW200 for about $2300. It's not a bargain, but you can't say it's unreasonable and it's playing in lower-end Tudor territory, which I think is a fair comparison. The interesting thing is it measures 39x36x10.5, so it's wider than longer. I imagine it would fit extremely nicely on slim wrists and under cuffs.

The only thing they could do to knock it out of the park would be to make one of their amazing bracelets with fitted end links for it.
Unfortunately, they only offer it with a choice of coloured leather straps:

#59 ·
Another bitter sweet day in my watch journey. Finally completed my review of the Divido, if anyone's interested, but as it turned out, I've decided to pass this one on. I hope those interested in the watch find it useful, A Study in Indigo - A Fling with One Minase Divido...
It's a great review. Hits on all the pluses and minuses. Too bad to see it pass, though losing to a Bathyscape is nothing to be ashamed of.

#60 ·
Having browsed around a bit, I remember seeing this brand mentioned somewhere before, but I didn't realize at the time how much work goes into the cases and bracelets.

Someone mentioned a lack of brand cachet (at least outside Japan), but that wouldn't bother me at all. Up 'til now I had a Zenith Defy Classic at the top of my 'next watch' list. Having looked at the Minase Horizon with the blue dial, I may end up with that instead. Same price range, too.

I'm definitely more about the workmanship as a whole than the movement. I had a Rolex Yacht-Master years ago, and the functional, but somewhat cheesy clasp always annoyed me.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the three-day date window. Having said that, I just bought another watch that has the same type of date window, so I guess I can get past that if the rest of the watch really appeals to me.

#61 ·
Having browsed around a bit, I remember seeing this brand mentioned somewhere before, but I didn't realize at the time how much work goes into the cases and bracelets.

Someone mentioned a lack of brand cachet (at least outside Japan), but that wouldn't bother me at all. Up 'til now I had a Zenith Defy Classic at the top of my 'next watch' list. Having looked at the Minase Horizon with the blue dial, I may end up with that instead. Same price range, too.

I'm definitely more about the workmanship as a whole than the movement. I had a Rolex Yacht-Master years ago, and the functional, but somewhat cheesy clasp always annoyed me.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the three-day date window. Having said that, I just bought another watch that has the same type of date window, so I guess I can get past that if the rest of the watch really appeals to me.
I wasn't much of a fan of the idea as well but it looks good in person on both the 5 Windows and the Divido. I've also been annoyed now when I've a single date window and the minutes hand blocks it so I can't see the date.

Reactions: Dave_1442397
#72 · (Edited)
If five windows weren't enough for you, now we have seven! Minase - Japanese Hand-Made Watches - 7 Windows

This one comes with the new movement:

Minase's new KT7002 movement is based on the Swiss ETA 2892/A2. This high-end execution displays hand-finished surfaces with perlage, blue screws, bridges with diamond polished bevels and a main plate and bridges in black. With 50 hours' power reserve, Minase's KT7002 movement offers some 12 more hours of autonomy than the previous movement.

The new Minase rotor catches the eye at first glance - displaying the brand's drill head logo, while several openings reveal the movement underneath. This component is assembled with MPS lubrication-free bearings. With its ETACHRON regulating system, this is a very high precision execution. 21 Jewels. Frequency 28'800 vibrations/hour (4 Hz).

#73 ·

Based off these preorder prices, the 7 windows on bracelet is 5,400 chf and 4,300 on strap. I think we can probably expect the divido and 5 windows to stay pretty close to their original price once they're upgraded with the new movement.

#74 ·
I snatched the Divido from @kritameth and I've had it for three days now. Not enough to make any meaningful conclusions, but I'm going to say some stuff anyway. If you appreciate over-engineering, design, and finishing - this watch is the jackpot. I can't say I've owned or come across another watch like it. This is a watch for those that appreciate the little things. Straight finishing lines where they would otherwise be slightly jagged, precise brushing where you could get away with some irregularities, a ridiculous bracelet design that really nobody would've ever asked for, but exists anyway, and is every bit amazing.

I've become someone who only cares about the details when I spend more than $2k for a watch (because I can get everything else I need from the sub $2k category), and that usually means that I expect too much from case and dial finishing. But I'm comfortable saying that this is among the best I've seen.

#75 ·
I snatched the Divido from @kritameth and I've had it for three days now. Not enough to make any meaningful conclusions, but I'm going to say some stuff anyway. If you appreciate over-engineering, design, and finishing - this watch is the jackpot. I can't say I've owned or come across another watch like it. This is a watch for those that appreciate the little things. Straight finishing lines where they would otherwise be slightly jagged, precise brushing where you could get away with some irregularities, a ridiculous bracelet design that really nobody would've ever asked for, but exists anyway, and is every bit amazing.

I've become someone who only cares about the details when I spend more than $2k for a watch (because I can get everything else I need from the sub $2k category), and that usually means that I expect too much from case and dial finishing. But I'm comfortable saying that this is among the best I've seen.
That's good to hear, because I'm right with you when it comes to quality like that. I'm really focusing on the Horizon, but the 7 Windows is also pretty stunning.

#80 ·
Latest from Instagram:

• When are the watches with the new movement expected to be available
      1wReply
      • minasewatch's profile picture
        minasewatch

@happy_watcher12the first collection with the new movement will be available at the end of may, then the other collections will follow during the summer
        1w1 likeReply
        minasewatch

@bienben0DIVIDO and horizon will be fitted with the new movement after the summer, 5 windows will keep the current movement
        1w1 likeReply

• bienben0

@minasewatchwill there be a price adjustment for the new movement or will current prices hold?
        1wReply
        minasewatch

@bienben0yes there will be a price adjustment for the watches fitted with the new movement
        1w1 likeReply

#88 ·
Latest from Instagram:

• When are the watches with the new movement expected to be available
      1wReply
      • minasewatch's profile picture's profile picture
        minasewatch

@happy_watcher12the first collection with the new movement will be available at the end of may, then the other collections will follow during the summer
        1w1 likeReply
        minasewatch

@bienben0DIVIDO and horizon will be fitted with the new movement after the summer, 5 windows will keep the current movement
        1w1 likeReply

• bienben0

@minasewatchwill there be a price adjustment for the new movement or will current prices hold?
        1wReply
        minasewatch

@bienben0yes there will be a price adjustment for the watches fitted with the new movement
        1w1 likeReply
Self plug but that commenter is me lol

#81 ·
The price adjustment could be eyebrow raising.
One thing Japanese brands have never been good at doing is reading the mood and the norms from overseas. The Swiss (mainly Swatch) have pushed their entry level prices right down for decent value and for microbrands there are norms and pricepoints that act as general guides for them and microbrand consumers as well.

The Japanese don't follow any of that. That's why you get their few micros and boutique brands putting out models with prices we outside of Japan say - "it's an OK watch, but just a little too much for what it is".
I like what Minase have done by upgrading to a more fitting movement for the level they are operating at, but even before the price rise is known, something makes me think maybe they should just keep the price and make this a value upgrade. Won't happen though.

Reactions: En_Nissen
#82 ·
Hm, I wonder why the 5 windows doesn't get an upgrade. I'm aware the Horizon is surprisingly popular (I always thought this would be the laggard) and the Divido is kind of their brand identity despite the 5 windows being what I would consider their core (think Porsche is now much more an SUV company than anything else even if the 911 is the company's core). I do suspect the 5 windows is so different that it may just be a harder sell to most people (heck the brand is a hard enough sell), so I wonder if they just figure why bother. That's a bit of a disappointment as the 5 windows really is their halo product as all their Masterpieces use the 5 windows as the base.

#83 ·
I saw a review of the new 7 Windows model that said it's thinner than the previous 7 Windows edition, presumably because of the new movement. Perhaps putting the new movement in the current 5 Windows case would cause fitment issues.

I really like the full-size Horizon model, but I don't think it'll fit me very well. It's 50mm lug-to-lug, and 50mm is pretty much my wrist width. Without being able to try one on, I don't think I'll chance it. The 7 Windows is just a few mm below that, probably just enough to fit without looking too big.

#85 ·
Didn't watch it but read it (at work). Excellent review. I'm hoping all this hammering of the case and bracelet's engineering and precision will start to get through.

I think the reason you don't need microadjustment on the bracelet is if you look at the "articulation" of the wrist side of the bracelet, when slack each link is a bit closer to the other. Maybe by 0.5 mm or so per link, but it adds up. You can see it's got rounded edges on the wrist side and it's 90 degree on the topside. It's amazing how "tight" the articulation is but how airy and loose it is. Never had a pinched hair. That is some precision. But basically it's got a built in microadjustment in the design of the link articulation.

It's nice to see Minase get some more love.

Reactions: singularityseven
#93 ·
Nice. How is the white dial? I had considered getting a Horizon Mid-Size with the white dial. Is it matte or is it the hammered copper?

It's also nice to see a non-Divido get some mention.

#99 ·
No. I'm holding out for a silver filigree. Urushi is quite pretty, so I suspect theirs will be pretty nice. Though the problem is given how the hammered copper already looks, I'm not sure it'll be spectacular enough in comparison. DIfferent. But probably not noticeably more eye popping.

Reactions: yellowfury
#101 ·
Wow, the Minase x Fratello collab piece just dropped, and this dial color is exactly my kind of blue!

Photographs taken from here: Fratello x Minase Divido

Limited to 10 pieces,

Price including VAT: €3,950.00 (rubber strap) or €4,980.00 (stainless steel bracelet)
Price excluding VAT: €3,139.33 (rubber strap) or €4,184.87 (stainless steel bracelet)

I'll go out on a limb and guess that it was Michael Stockton's review of the purple Divido that motivated this collab: Hands-On: The Fantastic Minase Divido

#103 ·
Wow, the Minase x Fratello collab piece just dropped, and this dial color is exactly my kind of blue!

Photographs taken from here: Fratello x Minase Divido

Limited to 10 pieces,

Price including VAT: €3,950.00 (rubber strap) or €4,980.00 (stainless steel bracelet)
Price excluding VAT: €3,139.33 (rubber strap) or €4,184.87 (stainless steel bracelet)

I'll go out on a limb and guess that it was Michael Stockton's review of the purple Divido that motivated this collab: Hands-On: The Fantastic Minase Divido

View attachment 15793851
View attachment 15793852
View attachment 15793853

View attachment 15793856
That is a very nice color. Great addition to the Divido. I think I'll pass though. I'm not usually a big fan of picking up multiples of the same design (looks away from the box holding all Speedmasters). Looking into the 5 windows midsize for now.

Thank you very much, I really struggled with this review because I wanted to go into the very fine details, but it almost seems impossible to do with a finite amount of time. And I completely agree, this bracelet is very special and is easily the best bracelet I've experienced that lacks any kind of micro-adjust/quick-adjust. It makes my new Grand Seiko SBGA415 feel very... primitive, and toy-like.

I think it is the nature of the material itself. There is a clearly some kind of coating above the textured layer that makes it appear smooth, and I suspect it is the depth and viscosity of the material that makes it so variable in it's appearance. I think Minase did this intentionally, based on what I've read on their website. So the best way to capture it, with my amateur skills, is to just blast it with light and find the right angle. And based on the pictures in the above post, it seems like Fratello had the same issues too.
Yeah. I've got a very Jekyll and Hyde mindset on that. On the one hand, I'm annoyed since people can't see what a beauty it is until they see it in person, leading to even more dismissal of the brand. On the other hand, the subtlety of it is what makes it so great, how you can get so many variations depending on the angle that it's like more than one watch. Citizen and Credor both have watches that do this too, but the Divido dial really takes it up a notch.

#114 ·
Limited to 10 pieces.
For crying out loud...
10 pieces in a yearly total production run of <500 means that 10 pieces is more than 2% of their entire output. That's a reasonable number, especially given in 2020 their 30 LE pieces means LEs totaled over 6% of their total production run.

Besides, any more and you'll get the people who complain that it's not special enough if they make more LEs.

#118 ·
Speaking of something like Minase and Made in Japan, what do you all think of this watch?

Kentex Craftsman
  • Miyota 9015
  • Tritium Tubes
  • Multi-layered dial
  • Anti-magnetic soft-iron housing
  • 100M water resist
  • 43mm case width (unsure if that is plus the crown)
  • Titanium Build
  • Integrated bracelet
  • Approx $1400 USD
  • Assembled in Japan, some parts sourced from China

#119 ·
Heard of them. I wasn't aware they made watches that expensive. I know they made watches in the 100-500 USD range. Their dress range is pretty good looking. I think they use Citizen Group movements because I remember one of their more complicated dress watches having the exact layout as a Citizen.

I'm not sure they are Japanese anymore. I remember when I checked their website years ago that their contact address and phone were Hong Kong. Not that that's a bad thing. I own two HK brands, Undone and Memorigin. And technically my Dennis Chan is also HK. But that doesn't really count as a watch.

#120 ·
They are Japanese and sell mainly in Japan. Their main boutique is in Akihabara.
That HK address must be for an export market distributor.
They have a contract with the Japanese Ministry of Defense to sell watches with Self-Defense Force insignia.

#122 ·
I just checked their website. Well, their English one. It does list HK, though like you said, probably their "overseas" distributor. When I first bought my Minase back in the day the Swiss site was what showed up.

They've gotten a really wide spread in prices. Watches in the 100s to 4000+. That's Citizen level of spread under one name. Looks fine. Can't say much about them though. Never seen them in the flesh.

I see the Fratello edition goes on sale at midnight Eastern time tonight. I'll have to check and see if there are any left when I log on to work at 6am tomorrow.
Depends on how much Fratello pushed them. They're not advertised on the Swiss distributor (makes sense). Fratello probably has a larger base that will have gotten the message, but whether or not any of them know of Minase (unlike the Minase mailing list) is the question. The 15th Anniversary on the Swiss dealer wasn't sold out for a couple of days, so there's a chance this one will be around in the morning. Especially since it's a Monday.

The blue is quite pretty though.

#126 ·
Just for fun, wearing my 15th Anniversary today. #1 of 15.