WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some information on Citizen pricing. Clearly top Rolex and AP models go for MSRP or over. I have a number of Grand Seikos with the LE 9F movement. Great workmanship, stunning design and great accuracy.

I got my email today that I can preorder the Citizen 0100 in titanium w black dial. Now it would be full sales tax so over $8100 on an MSRP of $7400. I was able to get my GS's even the LEs at MSRP. And they tend to trade at a slight discount. I will buy the Citizen so long as it is likely as a very limited edition to trade at only a slight discount to MSRP over the near time. I am not a seller or a flipper but to buy a watch for $8100 and have it worth $6500 in 6 months particularly with a manufacturer I have not collected before is not a great plan.

Are there any LE Citizens with great to good demand that have a history that might give me a hint? Given that Omega can typically be had for 40% off I don't want to find out that is the Citizen way. Even as a limited edition over $7-8k is a lot for a quartz watch.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have done quite a bit of looking and notice Citizen has a number of their +/- HAQs on sale on their website for about 25% off. So I think I will hold off on the 0100 although it looks to be a incredible movement.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
GS limited editions don't seem to be able to hold any premium to MSRP. I expect the same for Citizen. I'm not touching these LE's. I will only buy a regular production 0100 in base metal at a reasonable price. If they never release one then no big deal. A regular quartz is so accurate as-is.

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
GS limited editions don't seem to be able to hold any premium to MSRP. I expect the same for Citizen. I'm not touching these LE's. I will only buy a regular production 0100 in base metal at a reasonable price. If they never release one then no big deal. A regular quartz is so accurate as-is.
And all the Chronomasters are now being spec'd as 5 SPY, not just the eagle-marked. So 1 SPY is largely superfluous in practice.

But how many of us are thinking practically about these? :)

I'm hoping the LE bracelet is a fairly large component of the overall cost...because for the black dial...what else can be cut back? I don't think the indices and hands are that pricey. It seems unlikely the demand will be that grat...even if we potulate, say, $5k models. That's still a LOT for a watch.

Reactions: tomchicago

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
And all the Chronomasters are now being spec'd as 5 SPY, not just the eagle-marked...
The "The Citizen" (that is the proper name!) 32kHz quartz models have been always spec'd as 5 SPY (with caveats!) since 1995 regardless of any marking (eagle-marked or Chronomaster-marked) on these watches.

Reactions: tmt

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Citizen should be able to land the 0100s somewhere $2,000 - $3,000 USD. It would dominate in that range.

And all the Chronomasters are now being spec'd as 5 SPY, not just the eagle-marked. So 1 SPY is largely superfluous in practice.

But how many of us are thinking practically about these? :)

I'm hoping the LE bracelet is a fairly large component of the overall cost...because for the black dial...what else can be cut back? I don't think the indices and hands are that pricey. It seems unlikely the demand will be that grat...even if we potulate, say, $5k models. That's still a LOT for a watch.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Citizen should be able to land the 0100s somewhere $2,000 - $3,000 USD. It would dominate in that range.
And who would buy their The Citizen (5 SPY) models that are also in the $2,000 - $3,000 USD range?!

I've been saying since the early info about the Cal.0100S that it won't be in regular production as long as their The Citizen (5 SPY) models around.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Good point. Citizen should scrap the whole 5 SPY line in my opinion and really leverage the development that went into the 0100 and their quartz line would then be a leader in its field. I think Longines' exclusive use of the ETA 5 SPY movement ends soon as well, so 5 SPY will become more and more crowded. Grand Seiko is lagging in this respect and may get left behind unless they are doing their own r&d.

And who would buy their The Citizen (5 SPY) models that are also in the $2,000 - $3,000 USD range?!

I've been saying since the early info about the Cal.0100S that it won't be in regular production as long as their The Citizen (5 SPY) models around.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Good point. Citizen should scrap the whole 5 SPY line in my opinion and really leverage the development that went into the 0100 and their quartz line would then be a leader in its field. I think Longines' exclusive use of the ETA 5 SPY movement ends soon as well, so 5 SPY will become more and more crowded. Grand Seiko is lagging in this respect and may get left behind unless they are doing their own r&d.
But Grand Seiko has 5spy movements. Their 9F can apparently be regulated to 5spy which they do from time to time and out the star on the dial.

I am quite sure they will eventually come out with something that can rival the new citizen.

As for the Longines, it’s scary how easy you can get into that 5spy performance with the Conquest VHP. Used you can get these for $600 if you are patient and new for 1k or less if you get s nice discount.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

Hmmm, but if we see more swatch brands getting the ETA 5spy movements then the citizen range feels a bit overpriced for 5spy.... though I must admit that my Longines VHP holds no candle against a GS in regards to finishing and feel. And equally is at least one if not two levels down compared to the Longines Master Collection. If they had a VHP with the finishing and attention to detail of their master collection ....that would be my next watch.

·
Registered
537 Posts
One would have to wonder though what the market is for HAQ watches today. Most watch folks tend to want mechanical. And most non-watch folks want a smart watch because it pairs with their phone. For the amount of money it takes to arrive at 1 spy, it may not be worth the few watches that would be sold for a manufacturer like Grand Seiko. They tend to be getting the most bang for the buck by simply recasing their HAQ movement over and over and creating new models.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
One would have to wonder though what the market is for HAQ watches today. Most watch folks tend to want mechanical...
I don't care that "most watch folks tend to want mechanical" nor should anyone else in this forum because our forum is about HAQ exclusively and everything else is off-topic. Simple, isn't it?! Still, not everyone can grasp it...

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't care that "most watch folks tend to want mechanical" nor should anyone else in this forum because our forum is about HAQ exclusively and everything else is off-topic. Simple, isn't it?! Still, not everyone can grasp it...
what's very simple to grasp is the fact that you can't carry on a normal conversation with anyone here without being disrespectful, regardless of the topic, its quite pathetic.

·
Registered
537 Posts
what's very simple to grasp is the fact that you can't carry on a normal conversation with anyone here without being disrespectful, regardless of the topic, its quite pathetic.
Absolutely correct!

Someone made reference to Grand Seiko possibly producing something to rival Citizen's 1 spy new movement. I commented on that statement by saying that I thought the market might be too small (and explained why) for GS to be able to recoup the investment dollars thru sales. My post was relevant to the topic.

It was also just an opinion It might be true, it might not be true, but it was just an opinion...something ppaulzus seems unable to comprehend, except that his opinion is the only correct one on any topic vaguely relating to HAQ, and he will gladly berate and ridicule you to prove it.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
...he will gladly berate and ridicule you to prove it.
I tell you a secret: I can't ridicule you and no one else can... on the other hand, one can ridicule oneself and unfortunately you are not exception to this rule.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Mr. Moderator really would like to roll back the personal attacks back to the way it was 5 or more years ago.
You have made a point here, Mr. Moderator: I was here 5 or more years ago... How about them?!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts