WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Sorry if this isn't my place, but I thought that perhaps a general discussion thread specific to the pilot watch would be good, kinda avoids people confusing details with the other models.

First, I'd like to thank the design team for all that they have done on this, and for keeping it alive. I know they have a few cards up their sleeves, which I suspect they will reveal soon.

I thought we might be able to garner a little enthusiasm, by discussing the few things left on the table. Some of the topics we probably want to discuss are bezel, crown, and strap/band. Have I missed anything?

d05d3fe8c9e39ce51aaa69fb40c619ab.jpg

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bezel and crown
I think the current case design is versatile, but it is also very modern. The idea of the coin edge bezel brings a bit of the original pilot into this design. I think what will set this model apart would be the bezel and crown.
What would out options be?
Cylindrical
bevelled cylinder
Spherical
Onion
Pumpkin
Diamond

Though a big sphere would be appropriate for the style,would it work with the case and bezel?
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Liaoning Peacock SL6601 automatic movement
Check out the original General Discussion thread, it will get you up to speed. You can also see the results of the polls that have happened up til now. Three variations of the watch. It's a great project.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Indeed we will soon be voting on :
- logo or no logo or black on black
- crown
- bezel (note we did a render in the general thread but need confirmation from the oem exactly how they can make it on the current case)
- case finish. Note in my promo video with prototype cases the pilot watch was on case with a finish which looks weathered (I think it looks awesome, like a world war 2 survivor) but perhaps some participants would prefer a standard stainless case (brushed with polished details)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I thought we talked about the crown too, but maybe I was mixing up the two threads as I was reading back and forth a lot, I would think standard brushed stainless case, a nice add to it would be a crystal or mineral case back, almost all pilot watches have them these days. For the strap I would think a black or really dark brown to almost black (match the face) leather strap, but just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happy the stealth appeared in the vote(and seems to be winning) Was hoping for a F72 logo too. Still feel it kinda needs both for balance.

Sent from my 2014818 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
We decided we wanted to stick with the standard laid out by the past CWF projects with the use of the WUS logo. Considering the history it has with these projects, all other logo ideas and suggestions we had seemed a bit "forced", with nothing really supporting a switch away from the WUS logo.

We do thank you for your suggestions though, and had considered all before deciding the best way forward was to stay true to the WUS logo, or none at all.

We are ready to give a final push on the last details regarding the designs, so you may see some overlapping votes being started soon, in the interest of getting production started sooner rather than later.

Thank you all

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Could you point me to the general information thread for this watch project? I've gone through several not able to beginning....

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Project admins, I hope you'll check each vote against the project registration list.

I noticed that there are those ordering other design voted on the pilot logo and bezel polls :think:

And those who bailed out simply lost their votes, on something not unanimous.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm wondering if the coin bezel is voted in, is there still the chance of modelling it on that Oris Pilot bezel, or will it mean that er are committed to the sample rendering? I could live with either, I just really like the look of this Oris...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
We are committing to the sample rendering with the straight "teeth".

We ran the angled "teeth" (ie. Oris style) by the manufacturer, and they had a strong preference towards the straight cut. Our understanding was that this is due to ease of manufacturing, and their impression of how to do the angled teeth on this bezel would not have looked nearly as good.

Given their confidence in the first style, and obviously wanting the best possible quality and appearance for the bezel, we deferred to their recommendation on this.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We are committing to the sample rendering with the straight "teeth".

We ran the angled "teeth" (ie. Oris style) by the manufacturer, and they had a strong preference towards the straight cut. Our understanding was that this is due to ease of manufacturing, and their impression of how to do the angled teeth on this bezel would not have looked nearly as good.

Given their confidence in the first style, and obviously wanting the best possible quality and appearance for the bezel, we deferred to their recommendation on this.
OK, I can live with that. Thanks for the explanation.
Cheers

Sent from my 2014818 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Rest assured we do check votes against the registration list and disregard invalid entries :)

A hassle because so many people don't read the instructions BEFORE voting, but what can we do? Sigh.....................

Project admins, I hope you'll check each vote against the project registration list.

I noticed that there are those ordering other design voted on the pilot logo and bezel polls :think:

And those who bailed out simply lost their votes, on something not unanimous.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Indeed we will soon be voting on :
- logo or no logo or black on black
- crown
- bezel (note we did a render in the general thread but need confirmation from the oem exactly how they can make it on the current case)
- case finish. Note in my promo video with prototype cases the pilot watch was on case with a finish which looks weathered (I think it looks awesome, like a world war 2 survivor) but perhaps some participants would prefer a standard stainless case (brushed with polished details)
Great! The crown is very important in a pilot watch. I would choose the "onion" style.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Will we have pictures of the crowns available to us to ponder/discuss before voting on them?
We are limited to off-the-shelf options where the crown is concerned, given our relatively low quantities compared to what would be required for MOQ's.

We have a few ideas and have sent them to the manufacturer to get confirmation on whether or not they can source something similar. Once we have that information we will be taking those options to a vote. We won't likely put the options up for much discussion prior to that, because we won't have any control over changing the designs from what is available.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts