WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 599 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've decided to continue using the successful design by committee method employed in our previous projects. However, the Design Committee will make more decisions and there will be less elements for members to vote on. This will hopefully allow Project Peacock to run smoothly and quickly. Posting is restricted to those who have registered for the project.

We wish to finalise and produce watches with three different dial designs using the Peacock SL6601 movement. We are looking for a designer with PhotoShop or other design software experience and lots of spare time to help with renders. Please contact me by email [email protected] if you are interested.

Here is a render from Thomas showing the dial layout only. Obviously we are going to come up with something far more spectacular! We will not use this exact case and our lug to lug will be closer to 48mm.

Here are some ideas we've put to paper. Please share your ideas and bring this project to life :)

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
For this modern look variant we wanted a crisp sporty yet classy dial.
We tried standard stick markers but then I had the idea that the slightly soft triangular hour markers of the famous Raketa Zero would work well.
I think that our designer made a great sketch.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Something else that should be mentioned regarding the design, we do have the opportunity to design our own case for this watch.

Having said that, the 44mm diameter is a minimum due to the movement. Additionally, the height will be approximately 14mm minimum, again due to the movement. What that means though, is that lug-to-lug distance could be reduced by redesigning the lugs, and the appearance of the height could be offset through the case/bezel/crystal design. Material/finishes could also be considered.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Something else that should be mentioned regarding the design, we do have the opportunity to design our own case for this watch.
Highly curved lugs with an integrated case/band design could really work with such a large case. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
44mm with a 53mm length? That's not going to work for anyone with a wrist under 7". I do have a 44mm dive watch but the overall length is only 48mm.

I really want to be part of this build however, at 53mm I'll likely pass.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
44mm with a 53mm length? That's not going to work for anyone with a wrist under 7". I do have a 44mm dive watch but the overall length is only 48mm.

Hey Fraser, as mentioned above, we have the option of a different/custom case design. I believe the 53mm lug-to-lug is going to put many people off, so the sentiment will be strong to go with a different case option.

I'll say that I have been toying with a few rough case designs, and am confident that we can achieve a design with <50mm lug-lug length, and a nice curve to ensure it fits the wrist comfortably, that won't look out of proportion.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Agreed. One of the reasons I like the project watches here is that they tend to modestly-sized, but this one is definitely over my limit.

Looks great though, best of luck to everyone involved.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
We are looking at reducing the 53mm length of the generic case, but the 44mm diameter can likely not meaningfully be reduced.
The generic case is quite similar in size to a Seiko Sumo reference.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
looking forward to this project and getting more info on this 31 jewel movement. I also love the power reserve complication. Case size is OK for my 7.5 wrist. Looks like lots of interest in project Peacock thus far.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am liking the dial possibilities. IWC Portuguese is one strong candidate. The first variant that is posted with the triangle markers and railroad tracks is incredibly simple, stunning. I respectfully suggest that the committee evaluate the possibility of influence from Omega's Railmaster XXL or Omega Seamster Aqua Terra XXL. Similar ideas. Maybe three dial variants 1) IWC Portuguese 2) Omega Railmaster XXL 3) Omega Aqua Terra XXL. Size of watch being up to the committee.

Paul

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Thanks for all comments, fyi we are still evaluating candidate designs, but prefer not to do a direct homage such as replicating a portuguese. The crisp modern suggestion above does have raketa zero inspired "soft" triAngles but the end result is aiming to stand on its own even if inevitably you will echoes to some well known watches.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,782 Posts
I'd like to see some limits on how derivative we get with this watch. For example, if we were to adopt certain design elements from either of the Omega models suggested above, I would definitely prefer to see a handset that does not have an arrow-tipped minute hand.

Reactions: aron

·
Registered
441 Posts
I like the sketch of the modern look variant. Somehow it brings Tudor North Flag to mind. Also if some of the variants have at least a little vibe from North Flag or Oris Big Crown Pro Pilot Calibre 111 I would be very pleased. Looking forward for what you guys can come up with! :-!

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
I agree with the above post and the modern look sketch in the yellow and black reminding of the Tudor North flag. i would like that vibe as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like the sketch of the modern look variant. Somehow it brings Tudor North Flag to mind. Also if some of the variants have at least a little vibe from North Flag or Oris Big Crown Pro Pilot Calibre 111 I would be very pleased. Looking forward for what you guys can come up with! :-!

I love this watch. I wish a pilot watch … pilot plus power reserve… amazing combination...

1 - 20 of 599 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.