1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, given that this dial design is my top choice and my 2nd and 3rd did not make it into the top 3, I guess I'll be spending alot of time here!

Will we be discussing the hands and cases to complement this dial, or strictly on further tweaks we can make to the dial?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think the dial as it is is excellent.

The only thing I'd say is that the numbers on the original had a sort of bolder font and I wonder if the larger dial might also benefit with slightly bolder numbers.

The font style is slightly different to the original as well but I don't think that matters and I like the font style of the design.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I agree, even in some of the earlier drawings the 12, 3 and 9 seem a little more defined than in this version. So slightly bigger and bolder would be my request too. Can we also have a comparison with the date box outlined as some has suggested?
Have HKEd and Albertatime come up with a logo yet?
I know someone said the same on the classic thread, but the design is pretty close to being done... what does this thread aim to accomplish? I guess, what areas do we want to see improvements?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Regarding the fonts looking different between some of the versions; I do not have access to the same font used for the initial 2D renders. As such, I have tried to find the closest font possible for the 3D renders, however this tends to be a bit more of a blocky/less refined style. Hopefully we can sort it out for future renders and the fonts will match. If not, we will ensure that the 2D designers fonts will be the ones referenced for production, and make that it clear to all of you what that will look like.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I think having a "F" and "E" for "Full" and "Empty" on the power reserve would be a fun play with the Pilot Design. -Just an idea

I'm not sure about the different colors for the 3, 9 and 12. All numbers the same color? Lumed numbers!?!

All in all, this dial rocks, even the way it is!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I think for this design to work the flute/coin edge bezel is trivial, but i'm not sure that's up for discussion here...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think having a "F" and "E" for "Full" and "Empty" on the power reserve would be a fun play with the Pilot Design. -Just an idea

I'm not sure about the different colors for the 3, 9 and 12. All numbers the same color? Lumed numbers!?!

All in all, this dial rocks, even the way it is!
I think the F and E suggestion is fantastic! I was initially adding more color to the indication too, like throw in one bar of red for the end, and maybe 2-3 bars of gold before that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is there room for an 'F' & 'E' power reserve? Would it look busy, do you think?

In my mind the olive-khaki colour for the 12-9-3 is quite a distinguishing feature of this dial.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Would a poll on a bezal be helpful? Say with a choice of the coin style like gak suggested which would be close to the original? Or Kendalw3's option of the B&R case which seems a more casual nod in that direction?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Would a poll on a bezal be helpful? Say with a choice of the coin style like gak suggested which would be close to the original? Or Kendalw3's option of the B&R case which seems a more casual nod in that direction?
I think we should wait on the discussion of the bezel until the committee has more information and details from the manufacturer.

I assure you the case is not sitting by the side, we are and have been in continuous discussion with the manufacturer regarding the case options.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I think the three colour combination should stay, as that follows the originals design. If all numerals were the same colour, the dial would lose some of its distinguishing features and some of it's reference to the original.
Would it be possible to post a picture of the original somewhere in this thread.... preferably on the first post. So that we can use it for reference easily? I do like the 3 colors, but something about the render on the first page here seems off, and I'm not sure what it is.

For what its worth, the numbers that are "cut off" has grown on me. The first time I saw it, it bugged me, but now, I have grown to like it, and I even feel that it add nicely to the character of the watch.

Another question I have: Are we going to try to come up with a logo for each dial, or will the same logo be used across all the dials? Or is that a different vote all together? Since the logo goes on the dial, does it fit into this thread, or will there be a different one specifically dedicated to that, and we should use this thread to focus on all the other details of the dial?.... sorry, I guess that was more than one question!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Would it be possible to post a picture of the original somewhere in this thread.... preferably on the first post. So that we can use it for reference easily? I do like the 3 colors, but something about the render on the first page here seems off, and I'm not sure what it is.

For what its worth, the numbers that are "cut off" has grown on me. The first time I saw it, it bugged me, but now, I have grown to like it, and I even feel that it add nicely to the character of the watch.

Another question I have: Are we going to try to come up with a logo for each dial, or will the same logo be used across all the dials? Or is that a different vote all together? Since the logo goes on the dial, does it fit into this thread, or will there be a different one specifically dedicated to that, and we should use this thread to focus on all the other details of the dial?.... sorry, I guess that was more than one question!

My current renders don't quite have the colour of the markers right. They tend to show a little darker/browner than I believe they should. I will be working to solve that through additional renders.

Regarding the logo, it has not been discussed yet in depth how it will be applied to each dial. However, knowing what is going into the logo behind the scenes, I think it will be planned to be used on each dial. With that said, I am sure there will be some leeway for sizing/placement/colouring of the logo per dial design. For now, let's focus on the main details of the dial outside of a logo, and address that once more information is available.

Currently, the major requests I have noticed involve correcting the colouring, perhaps some lettering/alternatives for the PR subdial, and trying a border on the date window.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There seems to be some variety in the colour of the 12-9-3-6 in all the originals I've seen photos of. It maybe because they have aged differently, came from different factories (maybe Seikosha had sub contractors) (maybe we should get Seiko to build the case), or by that stage of the war the Japanese were scrambling for raw materials. They appear to range from the brownish colour of army uniforms one sees in Yasakuni to a pale dirty avocado. So more than one pic might be req'd as below. Btw in the second link I don't think it reads "Air Force" on the back of either case. I think it reads something about soldier but I have to check that with a native speaker. Anyone know?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seikosha-Pil...p2054897.l4275

http://www.heirloom2.com/military.htm

·
Registered
515 Posts
I would prefer hours remaining actually written in sub dial or color bars with the last one being red compared to F,E. I think even the tiniest remaining part of 6 will look nice as if window was put on it. I have seen the enlarged 12,6 but that made the balance off. Can we see 6 there while keeping the size same.

Just saw this one picture with subdials and crowns here look really amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
The back of the case reads "Sky soldier" (sic: Airman and the watch nmbr) not "Airforce". It's a small point but a bit careless and possibly other things are a bit wide of the mark as well, who knows. But the ebay link watch sold for a fair old price so somebody was convinced by that one. Once again a small point.

Those big winders (and for that matter the bezal) were for gloves.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts