1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
This is the first time I've participated in a project - very excited to be part of this, thank you! What would you all think about blued hands? Would that be a little over the top given the colour of the dial?

Gary

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
The sub-dials may have been cropped from somewhere else, but the F and E on the power reserve seem more appropriate for an automotive design. Perhaps a scale with hours and the text "Hours" or "Reserve" in the open gap in the dial?

Applied Numerals?

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,782 Posts
What would you all think about blued hands? Would that be a little over the top given the colour of the dial?
Not necessarily, but I think that it would be better if there was some sort of blue detail on the dial to tie in with blue hands.

The obvious choice would be black hands, probably Breguet style; but I think that we should explore all the non-obvious choices. One style that I thought might work is something like this (although the proportions would need to be different; thinner maybe?)

·
Registered
962 Posts
My sugestions:

1. Applied numbers
2. Relief spirograph
3. Maybe three layered dial: top layer - the outer ring with numbers, middle layer - subdials, lower layer - center with risen spirograph. The thickness of the dial will let the hole for the date to be made conical.
4. Not sure about it, but is it possible to be attached a magnifier for the date? Inside of course?
5. Anti-reflex?

Regards, Miro.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I would like to see a change to a serif typeface. Such an obvious homage to the trench watch feels bizarre with a modern sans serif typeface.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
There are some previous renders showing more of a trench watch style font for the numerals, we will have to try and dig those up.

That being said, this was not necessarily meant to be an homage to a trench watch. With the current Berlin font it was meant to be a unique take on a "Marine" style watch.

Not that either direction is right/wrong or decided at this point. Just a point that this was not intended to pay homage or stay true to any single style.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here's the Bell again, this one has the fancy numerals more reminiscent of a turn of the (20th) century pocket watch. The Spirograph is meant to be guilloche, as in lines cut into the dial, and it is "triple sunk", meaning there are three levels. I think the fancy F and E work okay for the winding indicator on this one, not quite as well on the Berlin, which is the one shown at the beginning of the thread. That one I did because folks were requesting a "marine" style, or a deck watch, and that is the typeface that the WW2 era deck watches used.

Perhaps at some point we need to choose between the two?

Thanks!

TheBell v2 (2).jpg
TheBell v2.jpg

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Also worth noting early on in this thread before it gains too much momentum: the round date window is not confirmed as a possible option.

It was discussed in the design thread, however the round date window may not work with the date wheel of the movement (ie. with the date wheel numeral spacing the numerals on either side, or the edges of the date wheel, might be visible with the round window).

It is more likely that the date window would be closer in design to Dadistic's Bell dial.

·
Registered
962 Posts
If the font is not some standard, the numbers will have to be printed, instead of applied.
I think it's better to be applied, even with more regular and standard font, than to be printed with some non-standard.

Regards, Miro.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think printed (non-applied) would be nice if the dial could be done in a high-gloss finish, similar to an old pocket watch enameled dial.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I like this sans serif font, but if we go with a serif font, I'd like to see something beefier than the one in the renders. Otherwise it looks a little too dainty to my eyes.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

·
Registered
873 Posts
There has been lots of talk about layers. Do we know if this will be a possibility?

KJRye did a model of the "other" spirograph dial where the subdials were on the "main plane" and the spirograph was recessed, which I thought added some neat character to this design.

All that being said, if the budget/design supports, I think having several "layers" to this dial will be very nice. It is a large dial, and I think that we can utilize that to show some true depth. Applied numerals, main plane, sub-dials/sub-plane, and guilloche spirograph could give us 4 distinct depths.... I think that is a wonderful idea!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I can't actually speak for the cost of it, and whether or not numerous layers are feasible, or how many, etc.

From the movement side of things though, there is a fair amount of clearance to allow for thicker dials, and therefore layers. That's why we have been modelling them as such.

An idea I've toyed with in my mind for this dial is for the outer ring and center to be on the same level, with the two subdials rising up taller on their own. Applied numerals could then create an extra dimension on the outer rim.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
1. Blue hands, most definitely. Either Dornbluth style or Breguet/IWC leaf

2. Applied indices/numerals. Yes please.

3. High gloss enamel or "sterling silverish"

4. Modern font. Serif is a big no go to me. Do not dig the Bell at all.

5. Layered dial. Awesome. Maybe smth like the Melbourne Portsea?

6. Do not like the round date. Prefer a bigger square date window

7. Agree on the power reserve texts. I think no letters at all but a power bar would work better

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello all,
Though not completely decided yet on the dial I'd choose in the end, I do have a soft spot for this one. The only heistation I have is that i'm getting one in a similar style done right now with a 6498.....
How about an Art Deco touch in the numbers ?
Power reserve with minimal text. How about just a "+" and "0" or "-" instead of E/F ?

Have a nice day

·
Registered
70 Posts
Since my preferred design (4) didn't make the cut, I also would like to endorse the idea of dark blue metallic hands.

-They look great against the silver and offsets busy nature of the center, making it a subtle decoration and increasing the beauty of the face rather than distracting you from telling time or looking busy.

-I like the newer font in this thread over the original design. Again I'm a fan of contrast over repetition, and if we want to go classic the number font used in Chascomm's photo on page one (with guant, turn of the century typeface) offsets against the numerous circles.

-If we went with blue hands, making the subdial hands and date marker blue would be enough to pull it together, otherwise black minute markers and numbering.

Just my two cents. I do marketing but my watch knowledge is limited compared to everyone else on this site. Cheers
Chris.

·
Registered
962 Posts
One more thing I'd like to discuss - will be a logo and/or inscriptions anywhere on the spirograph? Or anywhere else?

Regards, Miro.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts