·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Raised indices?
That is what's rendered, and the plan at this stage. In fact, if you have ever seen the Citizen Nighthawk indices, with the small lume plots at the tail ends, those are the inspiration here.

The subdials I had envisioned similar to the Junghans Meister line, I can only describe it as a "dished" style.

·
Registered
122 Posts
One of your other renders had a tapered scale for the winding indicator, I like that much better than the segmented one. Other than that, I think the dial is a doozy! It will look awesome.

Cheers!

Reactions: kendalw3

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
One of your other renders had a tapered scale for the winding indicator, I like that much better than the segmented one. Other than that, I think the dial is a doozy! It will look awesome.

Cheers!
You are right, on the two modern dials I used a tapered PR scale. I had simply wanted to do something different in the initial design of this dial to set it apart a bit. Also, the tapered style was an attempt to continue the triangular styling through to the subdial. On this dial design the segments are meant to continue the rectangular and blunt pointed design style of the indices into the subdial. That's not to say similar cues couldn't be done with a tapered style, something I will come up with as a comparison/alternative option.

RaketaTest4.JPG

·
Registered
386 Posts
Also would be interested in option to make the calendar wheel black, white numerals.

May be also a raised "box" around the calendar aperature too, like the hour indices.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
At this stage the plan is for the date wheel to be white. The costs of printing new date wheels, if it is even an option through the manufacturer, would be quite high.

As well, the large, apparent date window is one of the features on all dials which has been planned from the beginning with the choice of this movement. Currently, there are no plans to go away from that feature. On this dial especially, the date window balances the dial, creating a nice match to the larger "12" marker. With a black date wheel it may not match the colour of the dial, and it would also leave an emptiness in the bottom half of the dial.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm currently only in for the "classic" dial and the Japanese Pilot dial. So, I will only watch this thread as a "lurker", and keep my thoughts to myself, and see how it goes. Maybe you will convince me that I need all 3 (my pocketbook hopes not!).

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
How about a render with white/grey/silver numerals? Would look great on the dark blue dial i guess. Bit like the new stowa

Love the idea of Junghans "cup" style subdials btw

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,956 Posts
I'd like to see the tapered PR indicator modelled on the Midnight dial, and a hybrid tapered/segmented for comparison.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,956 Posts
I think the white date wheel in a window of that size and shape nicely balances the 12 o'clock marker, and a frame around the window is perhaps not necessary. However if the 12 marker was enlarged (or our much-anticipated logo is somewhat 'heavy') then a silvering of the chamfered edge of the date window could be good.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Im in for one of these and perhaps the pilot. This dial is perfect. Cant wait for the build to begin

·
Premium Member
7,381 Posts
What would be the surface treatment of this dial? On my iPhone, it looks black, but the render may be missing a surface texture that would bring out the blue.

Rick "curious" Denney

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
What would be the surface treatment of this dial? On my iPhone, it looks black, but the render may be missing a surface texture that would bring out the blue.

Rick "curious" Denney
That can still be a point of discussion, however my intention when originally designing this dial was for it to be a radially sunburst/brushed dark grey, bordering on a hint of deep deep purple almost. I found a Damasko that has a roughly similar treatment in plain/lighter grey.

Damasko DK13 Nomos Dunkel (99).JPG

The colour is always going to be challenging to show off with renders, and have the factory match, so if that is the direction we imagine it was intended to go in, hopefully it would come out somewhere along those lines. I think the exact shade/colour would not seriously impact the design, as it would look good within a fair range of shades. Not to mention with the sunburst pattern, that colour is going to flip between almost black in some lights and other shades along the way.

If it was desired that we go more of a blue hint, or no colour and just grey or black, those would all work very well too.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Below you can see two iterations of my design (the most recent, and an earlier one)

Now, I actually didn't change the colour of the dial between these two, just the lighting. The bottom would be more similar to how the dial might show in a bright/direct lighting situation, while the top might be a more typical view. The bright light shows off the grey/purplish tint a little more, as would be expected on a real sunburst dial.

Miidnight_Iso.JPG
Case1KyleDial_Iso2May05.JPG

·
Registered
122 Posts
You are right, on the two modern dials I used a tapered PR scale. I had simply wanted to do something different in the initial design of this dial to set it apart a bit. Also, the tapered style was an attempt to continue the triangular styling through to the subdial. On this dial design the segments are meant to continue the rectangular and blunt pointed design style of the indices into the subdial. That's not to say similar cues couldn't be done with a tapered style, something I will come up with as a comparison/alternative option.
I finally figured out what was bugging me about the segmented PR scale. It's too heavy! Unbalances the dial. I think that's why I was thinking about the tapered version. And, if you wanted to try the taper, if you turned it, it could lead the eye to the center of the watch.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts