WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the latest news subject to change of course, since only the new case factory seems to do things on time:

Ceramic project (similar case design to the LM-6) - late February or March delivery. This one will be a killer - nothing like it at the price we will offer. All dials will be black, with different lume color choices.

LM-3 Version 2 - That's the one inspired by the IDF watch, pictures of the samples have been posted. Also March.

Domed Sapphire - The plastic sample looks good, now we wait for the actual samples that will be ready late next month. Delivery will be in April or May and I think that's accurate because of the case factory we're using.

More projects are in the works!

Mitch

·
3,630 Posts
Re: 1/7/10 Update

Hi Mitch,
Sounds great.
Title should read 1/7/11 though (I'll make that mistake a few times this year also :) ).

·
Premium Member
11,871 Posts
Here's the latest news subject to change of course, since only the new case factory seems to do things on time: ...

Domed Sapphire - The plastic sample looks good, now we wait for the actual samples that will be ready late next month. Delivery will be in April or May and I think that's accurate because of the case factory we're using.
I am very excited about this project on a number of levels (sapphire bezel, domed sapphire, 42mm case, COSC movement option, overall appearance, etc.). That is why I would like to renew my plea that consideration be given to a tapered link bracelet with fitted endpieces, particularly given this newer, longer timetable for the first offering of this watch.

I have no idea what the MOQ is for such a beast, but I know that a fitted bracelet option would make this new watch one of the hottest timepieces in the dive watch market. And, since a 24mm lug width on a 42mm case would make an untapered bracelet too clunky, a taper of at least 2mm would be necessary to give it the refined appearance that would complement the time and effort that went into creating this stunning watch in the first place (and I am guessing changing the lug width to 22mm for an untapered bracelet would be even more difficult at this point in the design and production process).

Perhaps the MOQ could be justified if the only option was the bracelet, with an included rubber strap (a la Zixen, et al). And, if the intent is to produce a permanent part of the product line, perhaps take a page from Graeme Haughton's book and offer a "first edition" of the watch equal to the MOQ to create the bracelet version, to be followed by a regular production offering.

I am contemplating ... no, make that on the verge of buying a 42mm PO and would be just as happy with this new O7 with the sapphire bezel, COSC movement and a proper bracelet ... not because it would be much less expensive, but because it would be just as nice to own and wear.

Please, Mitch - promise us you will at least consider the tapered bracelet option.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Premium Member
11,871 Posts
More on possible tapered SS bracelet

In researching the possibilities for a fitted bracelet for this watch project (IMHO, the most important undertaken by O7), I have come up with a few suggestions:

1) A flat-link bracelet would work best because: a) it goes well with the proposed design; b) there are more OTS versions available; and c) they are more readily available in tapered versions.

2) Given that the standard watch case will have a full polish (and DLC versions will be sandblasted), it would make more sense aesthetically to produce a flat-link bracelet with PCLs. The polished links will complement the polished case and make the watch less of a "tool" watch and more of a multi-use timepiece. For those who want a tool watch and a flat finish, they either can buy the standard watch and have it brushed by any competently-equipped watchmaker or jeweler, or they can buy the DLC version (I am assuming that, if O7 has to have the cases sand-blasted before the DLC application process, the same could be done with the bracelet; or the DLC watch could be offered only with a strap).

3) The least expensive clasp would be a simple OTS foldover fliplock clasp with safety, with a fold-out dive extension. This could be enhanced by the use of a side-push-button deployant release (as on the current O7 buckle). Even better would be a ratcheting clasp with side-push-button release and a separate, ratcheting dive extension (as is available on certain Doxa, Boschett, UTS and other watch models).

This proposed watch, matched with a tapered bracelet as proposed above, will be a stunning piece, comparable in appearance and quality to the Doxa 4000T sapphire or even the IWC Aquatimer. For Doxa fans who love the 4000T sapphire but can't handle a small clock on their wrist, the 42mm size will be perfect.

I know MOQs on an additional component like a matched bracelet complicate an already complicated process in bringing this new watch out (already delayed into late-Spring '11), but this addition could transform the new watch into a sought-after and coveted piece.

FWIW,
Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts