·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Actually funny post yours.

And not to forget: all the Swatch Group owned brands.
I would expect this to affect the price of Swatch Group brands with their "in-house" movements. I still can't believe they weren't broken up.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
I'm not crazy about independents being excluded from parts supply. Kind of puts the standard serviceability advice seen here to doubt (everyone says get ETA if want easy service down the line). Yet, I strongly suspect that this will have no real effect on consumers.
- Most independents are very familiar w ETA movements and can do basic service regardless
- If replacement parts are needed - many ETA movements have clones (it does raise a concern about not OEM parts being used) that are virtually interchangeable
- Many top brands are already doing this. Richemont Group has cut off parts supply to independents a while back and while few people complained, most took it in stride

I'm not a fan of monopolistic practices and don't like that they won't supply parts, but at the same time I never understood why Swatch would provide movements to all of their competitors. Hopefully this will force others to innovate and manufacture (although i expect Sellita, Miyota and others will happily fill the gap for casers).

The biggest risk I see with these moves is: if the big brands exclude independent watchmakers from part supply distribution, it may be harder for watchmakers to make money (due to giant share that Swatch and Richemont have), which in turn may push some of them to exit the industry. And that could be catastrophic - lack of independent watchmakers can lead to overall industry decline. Manufacturers are already struggling w service turnaround times. If every Swatch has to be serviced through their repair centers - are we going to see 12-24 mos turnarounds for simple repairs? Will they even be able to hire enough competent people to service their watches?

Reactions: logan2z

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
This could lead to a whole host of movements being developed or old movements being cloned like China has done. There are ways around it, and plenty of time was given to adjust to the new "normal". Prices will increase for those who have to invest in new movements. Or Seiko and Citizen could build movements in Switzerland and make a killing selling to the disenfranchised.

·
Registered
36,325 Posts
This could lead to a whole host of movements being developed or old movements being cloned like China has done. There are ways around it, and plenty of time was given to adjust to the new "normal". Prices will increase for those who have to invest in new movements. Or Seiko and Citizen could build movements in Switzerland and make a killing selling to the disenfranchised.
Soprod, Sellita, Miyota will take up the slack if swatch pulls the plug.

Seiko needs to get with the program and introduce an affordable hi-beat movement to compete with the A-10, SW200 and 9015.

·
Registered
534 Posts
"I'm not crazy about independents being excluded from parts supply."

That's what did it for me. I've schooled myself on this issue since learning about it here. Appalling. You can tell from the reactions by the independent repair shops in the UK and US that this is no small thing. My reaction is, I'm done buying Swatch products (and I have three). I'm a small business owner and work for my money, and when companies behave in such a disgraceful fashion toward "the little guy," I relate to the little guy. F Swatch.

But, yes, hopefully this will prompt other companies (not just the Swiss; sea gull, perhaps?) to up their game in quality, and provide good movements (and parts) at decent prices so creative entrepreneurs can flourish. We can see some of that happening here now in North America.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Don't motor manufacturers have to make parts available to independent garages/workshops by law? Why is it different with watch manufacturers?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Don't motor manufacturers have to make parts available to independent garages/workshops by law? Why is it different with watch manufacturers?
Sure, and if I buy a banged-up used Kia third hand with the factory warranty still in effect, I'm covered. But only a watch bought from an "authorised dealer" is covered. I don't know how that's even legal, particularly here in California.

The rules don't apply to watchmakers, it seems.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Manufacturers are already struggling w service turnaround times. If every SwatcIdentity Fraud Prevention when submitting ID copyh has to be serviced through their repair centers - are we going to see 12-24 mos turnarounds for simple repairs? Will they even be able to hire enough competent people to service their watches?
Well, in the beginning they might, but eventually manufacturers will invest in schooling new watchmakers to satisfy demand. Rolex has been doing it for years, and with great success. The only ones whom stand to suffer from this are the independent watchmakers and consumers, whom will have less choice and will inevitably lead to higher service prices.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's already been said, the common automatic moments that every watch brand was buying from ETA are readily available in clone form, so if you need a part just stick a sellita or even seagull part in and you'll never know the difference...

I'm not worried about the autos, it's my quartz aqaracer or my omega de ville... I was happy in the knowledge that if either of them broke I could pick up a brand new movement for $40-50. Once the supply dries up it's a manufacturer service which is more than either of them is worth. In fact I may just buy spares for both now whilst I can........

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sure, and if I buy a banged-up used Kia third hand with the factory warranty still in effect, I'm covered. But only a watch bought from an "authorised dealer" is covered. I don't know how that's even legal, particularly here in California.

The rules don't apply to watchmakers, it seems.
I'd love to see your legal precedent to back this up.

Swatch is in no way doing anything unlawful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
It happened overnight.

A little over 5,000 nights ago that is.

You can boil a frog in an open pot if you turn the heat up slow enough.

Fools didn't actually believe the Hayeks.

lol.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sorry I must have missed the sarcasm in your post? I was commenting on the fact that there are basically no warranty laws in effect anywhere in the world. All are treated as separate commercial agreements and as such can be structured in any number of ways beneficial to either participating party. Exceptions would be the DOT stepping on matters of safety related to autos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 301 Posts