WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow really Wow!!!
I found this Le Jour Jurvac all stainless steel in a box of junk watches and picked it out at the high cost of $10. After disassembly I found a nice ETA 2782 quickset date auto movement inside mmm tasty.
Got it last wknd and it sat while I figured out what to do with it.
This is an out the front case that has an interesting screw on bezel with oring compression crystal design, well whoever worked on it last stripped the threads so the bezel wouldn't sit flat I attempted to fix it with no luck and since the crystal was very scratched I decided to try my hand at a rotating bezel refit.
First I re worked a crystal to fit in where the movement compression ring fits, there is a 1mm relief cut where a secondary ring assists with the duty of holding the movement in from the front, and a perfect place for a press fit flat side acrylic crystal, so some hand filing sanding and buffing and check to see it clears the new bezel, a little silicone sealer and done!
Now on to the case, it was scratched and nicked so I took a small diamond drum on my dremel and cleaned it up, as I was doing this I noticed the finish was looking interesting so after I took care of the problem areas I gave the case a quick once over to even everything out and gave it my version of a diamond blasted industrial non reflective finish. Ok next I had a spare sheffield bezel sitting around that was a close fit and cleared the cyrstal so that was a done deal just a little extra work there, I had to put a channel below the threads on the case so the retaining spring would catch so using another diamond bit I was able to get that done, rather simple but tedious. This is marked JP Pingouin maybe someone here knows something about the company. The case back states Vaccum Sealed Argon certainly not still though, but an interesting Sinn type feature none the less. Before after and mvt/case pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That case/ring mod is great. Did you happen to take any photos while you were doing it, I am quite interested in how you did the adaption to take the rotating ring.

Anyway - watch looks 100x better now :-!
Thanks I didn't get during pics I tend to get going and don't stop till done.
Simply put there are about 4 threads on the case that hold the orig bezel, I just square cut the 2 threads close to the case and left the others making the appropriate catch for the retainer spring.

·
Premium Member
12,919 Posts
pretty nice watch ;)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'd like to have a good version of the original diver. You did a fine job of making an attractive watch out of a pile of junk.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That case/ring mod is great. Did you happen to take any photos while you were doing it, I am quite interested in how you did the adaption to take the rotating ring.

Anyway - watch looks 100x better now :-!
I had to open this up and repair a slipping friction gear so I took a few more pics showing the custom crystal and S.S. compression ring design I came up with. Also the relief cut for the bezel. This actually wasn't too difficult but the result was my best work yet. Pretty simple you press in the crystal, it holds the movement in, then the compression ring adds extra security to make sure the crystal is locked in. A little silicone assures a very good seal.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts