WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 year old daughter has taken a shine to my cheapo Asian MM Pan homage and has started wearing it round the house complete with huge custom made strap for my 8.5 inch wrists. She now wants me to get her one for christmas.

I might put the original strap on let her wear it for a few weeks and see whether the novelty wears off.

What do you think?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thats a big watch for me let alone a 10 year old. But I do think its great that she wants to wear a watch (im sure non of her friends do). So if she likes it let her wear it.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
If she likes it let her wear it.

My kid (11) likes my Breguet. I am unfortunately not going to let him wear it though. Maybe I will get him a Seiko 5 diver for christmas (with see through back, he is fascinated with movement.)

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
To big. get her a cool Swatch instead.
A Swatch is a good beginners watch.

I got my first watch, a gilded Prim, from my maternal Grand father. She is not too youg to start wearing a watch, IMO!

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Your 10-year-old worships her daddy and wants to be like him. Either give her your exact watch (sized approriately) or one just like it.

Eventually the "novelty might wear off" and she won't sport it on her wrist as much anymore, but I bet she never, ever gets rids of it.

This is coming from a woman who wears her Daddy's watch on a regular basis.

Jeannie

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
But is the watch not awfully big and heavy?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Maybe I will get him a Seiko 5 diver for christmas
A Seiko 5 is a great place to start :-!
I have a few watches with the 7S26 7S36, great movements. Should be durable for an 11 year old and IMO a great way to teach taking care of nice things, and taking a bit of pride in appearance. My only little gripe about them is they dont manually wind.

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
Encourage her to explore watches and who knows, one day she may starting collecting watches too, cheers! ;-)

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 10 year old daughter has taken a shine to my cheapo Asian MM Pan homage and has started wearing it round the house complete with huge custom made strap for my 8.5 inch wrists. She now wants me to get her one for christmas.

I might put the original strap on let her wear it for a few weeks and see whether the novelty wears off.

What do you think?
Go for it. |>

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Your 10-year-old worships her daddy and wants to be like him. Either give her your exact watch (sized approriately) or one just like it.

Eventually the "novelty might wear off" and she won't sport it on her wrist as much anymore, but I bet she never, ever gets rids of it.

Jeannie
Well said Jeannie, My sentiments exactly.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Encourage her to explore watches and who knows, one day she may starting collecting watches too, cheers! ;-)
I think thats a good idea too. Tell her taht youre gonna let her pick out her own watch. take her to the swatch store or something and let her pick the perfect one.

Other than that, I dont see any harm in giving her the watch you have as long as its not too valuable (not that she's not worth it, just that something might happen to it). Who cares how big it is? If she likes it she likes it.

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,174 Posts
She's 10. She knows how big the watch is. She thinks it's cool. 'Nuff said.

Yep. Let here wear it. I'm with GinGinD. b-) :-! :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought for my kid (7old) a Seiko 5 military, i think it´s the best option in automatic (autentic and in house mvmt) watches

·
Registered
18 Posts
I say go for it!! :-!

I told my daughter (8) a few months ago that I was thinking about getting her a Micky mouse watch. She's still asking about it so I guess I know what santa needs to bring :-d

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
I say go for it!! :-!

I told my daughter (8) a few months ago that I was thinking about getting her a Micky mouse watch. She's still asking about it so I guess I know what santa needs to bring :-d
There's a great thread going on in our fashion watches forum about Mickey Mouse watches that you might want to check out. Lots of pictures.

Jeannie

·
Registered
416 Posts
I say give her the watch, I wouldnt buy a new one either give her yours, she will always remember it as her daddys watch then too. So what if she dosent wear it in a year or so, it might grow old but it will still mean something to her later in life, try and say that about anything else you would be buying from a toyshop for christmas instead.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thats pretty cool!
Let her wear it like you said. See if the interests persists. If she wants it; let her keep it but warn her - she is never to give it to a future boyfriend. Kinda a legacy gift from you-to-her.

Go get yourself another.

-peace

1 - 20 of 20 Posts