WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the deal with the water resist ratings on the 103 series? Some have screw down crowns, some are argon filled and all carry the 20 atmosphere water resistance regardless of those features? Shouldn't the models without screw down pushers hold a lower water resist rating?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would say that what you gain from screw down pushers is not higher pressure resistance but lower accident occurence. Regardless of the water resistance, most watches will let in water if the pushers are pushed under water.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
More or less. Screw-down crowns (and, presumably, pushers) prevent accidental lateral pressure on the opening in the case. Water resistance per se is achieved by the seals, and are not affected by the screw-down mechanism, or lack thereof except for the factor mentioned.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hem... sorry for my ignorance. All along I thought screw down pushers were meant to increase water resistance of chronos? ie a normal chrono will have lower water resistance say 50m while a chrono with screw down pushers will have a higher rating of 200m water resistance.

Does it meant that screw down pushers are litterally just meant to prevent the pushers from being depressed, that's all? or do they meet a gasket seal when they are screwed down? Anyone has any idea if Omega's chronos have gaskets seal on their chrono's screwed down pushers? :-s

Coz I met a dive tour operator who told me he really uses his Omega Chrono for diving and that spurred me to get a diver's chronos such as an Omega untill I chance upon the 103 but wasn't sure if the 103 was a divers? The Omegas claims its SMP chronos as a diver..... hence the confidence of water resistivity is assured

·
Registered
867 Posts
Anyone has any idea if Omega's chronos have gaskets seal on their chrono's screwed down pushers? :-s
From what I read on the forums over the past couple of years, the Omega Seamaster Chronograph has pushers that can be operated at the 300m rated water resist depth. This Omega is one of only a handful of chronographs that allow the pushers to be operated at depth.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hem... sorry for my ignorance. All along I thought screw down pushers were meant to increase water resistance of chronos? ie a normal chrono will have lower water resistance say 50m while a chrono with screw down pushers will have a higher rating of 200m water resistance.

Does it meant that screw down pushers are litterally just meant to prevent the pushers from being depressed, that's all? or do they meet a gasket seal when they are screwed down? Anyone has any idea if Omega's chronos have gaskets seal on their chrono's screwed down pushers? :-s

Coz I met a dive tour operator who told me he really uses his Omega Chrono for diving and that spurred me to get a diver's chronos such as an Omega untill I chance upon the 103 but wasn't sure if the 103 was a divers? The Omegas claims its SMP chronos as a diver..... hence the confidence of water resistivity is assured
I follow you. Attached is what I think is going on with most chrono's out there and as pugridiron pointed out there are some exceptions.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is superior and could be operated under water but the machining costs are no joke. That or I think some watches have a rubber membrane that covers the pusher and keeps water away from the whole thing in the first place.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey scottjal,

awesome explanation! :-! That tells a lot about keeping water out of the chronos! Great research you done there....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts