WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I’m planning to get a 116500. I like the subtlety of the black dial but I am worried about reading time with my 50+ years old vision.

Will be great if users can share their experience.

Thank you and stay healthy everyone!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I’m in the same boat. My eyes aren’t getting any younger, and the Daytona (both models) are not the easiest to read; however, I love the design, and history.

So after experiencing both I have ended up keeping the white. The registers could still be easier to read, but when comparing the two the white dial is much easier to read at a glance. Mainly because the silver hands blend into the registers on the black version. The white version has much more contrast.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
If you like the black then go for it but like the post above it's a lot harder to read than the white.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

Guess I have to try out again before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Feature request: Brushed, or matte-finished, hands for the black dial models to aid legibility (like how GS does, or JLC and their half-polished/half-matte hands).

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Greetings,

I’m planning to get a 116500. I like the subtlety of the black dial but I am worried about reading time with my 50+ years old vision.

I am 53, need readers , and got a black dial Daytona at Christmas. In my opinion, all Chronos are harder to read because the dials are so busy. Having said that, I don’t feel the black Daytona is that hard to read ... in fact, I love the watch!

Here’s a video of mine that might help...

https://youtu.be/rCMtlge7VQw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dougie for sharing your thought and video. You have shown a Daytona view that photos can’t replace. Now, I’m back to self debate again 😅

Also, what a watch collection journey that was in 2019. Wish your watch collection in coming years be as fun and fruitful!

Thank you, stay well and healthy!

Greetings,

I am 53, need readers , and got a black dial Daytona at Christmas. In my opinion, all Chronos are harder to read because the dials are so busy. Having said that, I don’t feel the black Daytona is that hard to read ... in fact, I love the watch!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Get whichever color you like best (assuming you have a choice). I have the white and absolutely love it. Is it as easy to read as my BLNR? Absolutely not. But I also sort of like the extra second it might take to figure out the time because you get to sit and admire the watch just a little bit longer. If you want absolute legibility, get a digital watch. We wear these watches to enjoy their design and history. I've got a hankering to get a black dial as well, but I'm quite happy with the white.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts

Not all chronos are hard to read....
This guy has also had some great videos done along with some of his buds.
Way better than ANY daytona for legibility.

576F24B1-5CD9-4D4E-8B09-5F55E31FB1D9.jpg

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Not all chronos are hard to read....
This guy has also had some great videos done along with some of his buds.
Way better than ANY daytona for legibility.

View attachment 15014855
I agree, the Speedy is very legible. But it’s also pretty ugly too. I know, I know that is heresy to say on a watch enthusiast forum. I’ve been collecting since 1984 and no matter how many times I’ve tried to get myself to like the Speedy ... I just am not impressed. I’ll take sexy and not as legible over legible and stark.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Greetings,

I have heard lost of people complaining about Daytona’s legibility.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I have heard lost of people complaining about Daytona’s legibility.

Maybe when people look beyond the hype and actually live with one for a while they start to question stuff like ‘what really is the time?’

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maybe when people look beyond the hype and actually live with one for a while they start to question stuff like ‘what really is the time?’
Haha! Agree with that! I still prefer zenith over modern daytona. But that just me

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I agree, the Speedy is very legible. But it’s also pretty ugly too. I know, I know that is heresy to say on a watch enthusiast forum. I’ve been collecting since 1984 and no matter how many times I’ve tried to get myself to like the Speedy ... I just am not impressed. I’ll take sexy and not as legible over legible and stark.

I want to like Daytonas and have tried and indeed would wear one of the older versions without crown guards. From crown guard intro’ though they lost the plot. Polished center links and lug tops, 2 tone sub dials that confuse rather than help and a hand set that’s lost to the background. It’s not an ugly watch but it’s definitely a way too busy watch and on any other day, if it didn’t have a Rolex Daytona label and the fantasist rarity then I believe few would buy them. Zero history apart from the proper one being worn by a film star turned racing driver or is it the other way around. The Speedmaster Pro on the other hand is undeniably a watch with iconic status. Readable from any angle in any lighting and has that feeling of under stated class about it that a new style Daytona has not.
Two very different watches for very different buyers.
I passed on a white face steel bezel not long ago because it felt too small and totally unreadable. For many, this is the disappointment of Daytonas.

·
Premium Member
19,991 Posts
Umm...

Very profound. With this lockdown and working from home, everyday is like a Sunday or Monday, wait... maybe it’s Friday. Ah, drinks on Friday afternoon

Time? Dunno. Is it beer o’clock yet?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I want to like Daytonas and have tried and indeed would wear one of the older versions without crown guards. From crown guard intro’ though they lost the plot. Polished center links and lug tops, 2 tone sub dials that confuse rather than help and a hand set that’s lost to the background. It’s not an ugly watch but it’s definitely a way too busy watch and on any other day, if it didn’t have a Rolex Daytona label and the fantasist rarity then I believe few would buy them. Zero history apart from the proper one being worn by a film star turned racing driver or is it the other way around. The Speedmaster Pro on the other hand is undeniably a watch with iconic status. Readable from any angle in any lighting and has that feeling of under stated class about it that a new style Daytona has not.
Two very different watches for very different buyers.
I passed on a white face steel bezel not long ago because it felt too small and totally unreadable. For many, this is the disappointment of Daytonas.
I agree they are appreciated by very different types of buyers ... neither is right or wrong, just different.

I would say the reason why the Daytona is so revered, even by non-watch geeks (thus the hype), is its association to motorsports/F1/endurance racing (LeMans & 24 hours @ Daytona). The style aspects of the Daytona appeal to car nuts - sleek, shiny, svelte. A Ferrari fan does not care if the car is comfortable (equivalent to watch world’s “legibility”) - they love how sexy and fast it is.

Whereas the Speedy is revered by watch and space geeks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From legibility to philosophical questions about why buy a Daytona. Thank you all of you for sharing.

I may need some meditation before my next move.

Stay well and healthy everyone!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts