WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. I have an opportunity to own the zodiac oceanaire with rubber strap for 130.00. It seems like these are harder to find as they once were. Is this a good purchase price.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Last week I saw the oceanaire being carried by Bloomingdales. It was the black version on the SS bracelet. I was truly surprised at the heft of this thing. Sadly their price was in the mid $500's and there are just too many other alternatives I would rather have for that price. Still if anyone is interested in seeing one in person, Bloomingdales is the place to go.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
130 is really suspiciously low.
Take care!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I will check it out at Bloomingdales and then buy it for around $ 300 online. I did the same thing for my Swiss Army Divemaster 500. Macy wants $ 525 and I paid $ 300 on line new delivered with warranty.:-!

·
Registered
277 Posts
That sounds like the price charged for one out of the refurb case at a Fossil Outlet store.
Good deal even if so, they rarely show up in the outlets in any 'case'.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That sounds like the price charged for one out of the refurb case at a Fossil Outlet store.
Good deal even if so, they rarely show up in the outlets in any 'case'.
design, your right, thats where I saw the watch. I work near an outlet mall so I stop by there often, usually just to walk around during lunch time, and fossil is one of the stores I stop into. I have been to fossil quite a few times and this is the first time I have seen this zodiac model. I have heard good things about this watch, so I looked at it on wednesay, but decided to pass. On friday, I went back and purchased the watch. I dont have a large collection of watches, but I never thought I would like a rubber strap, or an zodiac for that fact. I really thought I was going to buy the watch and then flip it on ebay for a small profit, but Im keeping it...its really a nice watch. Yes, it is refurb, but according to the salesperson, nobody has ever owned it and any small issue can put it into that catagory. I cheched this watch over and there is nothing that I can see wrong with it. I hopefully will have some pics anyone would like to see it. The sapphire is thick and there is great details in the watch. I think the case back is cool, has a nice deep engraving which you dont see in watches at this price. The bezel is smooth, and simple. At first I didnt like the hands, but have been growing on me the last few days. This watch is heavy, even though it has a rubber strap. Speaking of strap, its nice with lots of detail, very comfortable, I never thought I would wear a rubber strap, I guess since I dont dive or do water sports I felt like a "wannabe", probably the wrong attitute to have. Overall, I think I got good deal on it, especially since I did a google search and these are very hard to get anymore.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It is a keeper beater, great looks, and on my list for when it shows up in these parts.
Wear it in good health.
I get distracted by hunting for deals at the TJMaxx-they are closer to me.
=I found a Daniel Mink diver in black PVD for $150 at the 25% off Clearance items sale this Friday. Added a $50 gift card to it and walked out for $100.
Maybe next week I'll take the drive up to see if I can get a yellow diver, been looking for this king of no-guilt buys for a year!
At that price, keep it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Quality can be iffy..

I owned this watch at a higher price (mid-$300's) and had nothing but freakin' problems with it.. if you can handle throwing money out the window, feel free to jump on this POS <|

·
Registered
277 Posts
Re: Quality can be iffy..

I owned this watch at a higher price (mid-$300's) and had nothing but freakin' problems with it.. if you can handle throwing money out the window, feel free to jump on this POS <|
I heard there were problems with the movements of the earliest ones out of the factory, but that happens with version 1.0 of anything.
Since then, I haven't heard anything bad about them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I (very) recently purchased one of these for $300 as basically my first "real" watch. My Fossil outlet store didn't have these (though I did pick up a Sea Ghost for next to nothing) but I'd buy another one as a backup for $130 in a heartbeat if I had the chance. Really like this watch.

Am concerned about the poster who said he had problems with it though. Hope mine is reliable.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Good Luck with that

it's not a bad looking watch, just had issues with the one I owned and heard of several others, but several is not many out of thousands.. :-!

I (very) recently purchased one of these for $300 as basically my first "real" watch. My Fossil outlet store didn't have these (though I did pick up a Sea Ghost for next to nothing) but I'd buy another one as a backup for $130 in a heartbeat if I had the chance. Really like this watch.

Am concerned about the poster who said he had problems with it though. Hope mine is reliable.

·
4,077 Posts
Re: Good Luck with that

I would jump all over one for $130. What problems did you have with yours, funker?

Even with a $100-150 service, you're at less than $300.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hop, Skip and Jump..

of the second hand.. 2 repairs to fix it.. then it left these hands permanently.. ;-)

I would jump all over one for $130. What problems did you have with yours, funker?

Even with a $100-150 service, you're at less than $300.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, I knew it was too good to be true. I specifically looked several time at the second hand and didnt notice anything skipping. Today I was giving my kids a bath and took off the watch, dropped it from waist high onto the floor, and looked at the movement...damn it, the second hand was skipping. I dont know if it was happening the whole time and just didnt notice it or if the fall did something. Well, when I bought this thing the folks at fossil told me I had 30 days to return it, and I havent had it for more than 10 days so thats no problem. But, I really like this watch, the heft and how it sits on my wrist, etc, etc. Can this watch be repaired by zodiac if it is a refurbished model? Can a watchmaker put in a more reliable movement??? Just wanted to know what you all think. Just need to know my options, you guys probably know better than the "kids" at the fossil outlet store.o|o|o|

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, I checked out the zodiac web site and the watch seems to be covered for 2 years. I was expecting to see something about refurbuished watches from a outlet style store not covered, but there was nothing stating that. I figure that a fossil store would be an authorized seller, the outlet stores do sell brand new watches. Funkright, I would like to get your input of what you had to do for your zodiac, and what the repair center actually did. I see the watch skipping, but will this actually affect the time that much, or will this cause other problems. I would just like to see the movement replaced, even if I have to fork out the money myself, just incase zodiac tries to wiggle out of not paying.Makes me think maybe I should get rid of it and buy two seikos with the money.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well, my watch, when I had it went into repair twice and total time line was of the 23 weeks I owned the watch I had it on my wrist for least than 2.. Good luck. Your conclusion on getting Seiko's vs the Zodiac is well justified, never had this level of issue with a Seiko (and I have owned a few).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts