1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've got a Daniel JeanRichard 25020 watch long time ago and here is the link

Daniel Jean Richard Watches CHRONOSCOPE 25020 Watchbox Knokke Antwerp

A pusher button is missing, and the company's repair centre said it would cost $1300 to repair as it includes a mandatory $1100 service (and $200 for the pusher). They said the service includes lubrication, mechanism adjustment, timing regulation, testings. I must purchase the full service even if I only want the button fixed. Do you think it worth it to repair?

It is in Australian dollar, about x0.93 US dollar

The service fee is quite expensive, do you think I can find someone else to repair it?

Thank you!

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I think so, It's an ETA mvmt. Every watch repairman in the Western World trained on ETA,only problem might be in the pusher....
But, that could be an off the shelf part too....Check with some local watchmakers, not jewelery stores.... watchmakers, they are not the same.
Good luck, let us know what happens.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Find a local watchmaker.

(BTW, the term "watchmaker" as LBF uses it above, and as has become the accepted meaning, refers to a watch repair person, not some elderly artisan in the Jura mountains who fashions watches by hand on his little workbench. Someone who specializes in watch repair is the ticket. If you take it to a jewelry store, they'll probably just outsource the repair, or even worse, send it to the manufacturer's service center, and then you're back where you started.)

·
Premium Member
73,795 Posts
I think so, It's an ETA mvmt. Every watch repairman in the Western World trained on ETA,only problem might be in the pusher....
But, that could be an off the shelf part too....Check with some local watchmakers, not jewelery stores.... watchmakers, they are not the same.
Good luck, let us know what happens.
Exactly what LBF said.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Reactions: brrrdn and Der Amf

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
there's no way that's reasonable. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
1100 for service is ridiculous even by Rolex standards. There is no way it should cost that much or even half that IMO. If this is Jean Richard themselves who are giving you this quote, this is really bad PR for them, thanks for calling them out on this.

Look elsewhere, you should be able to find a decent local watch service place that can do it for 1/3-1/2 the price.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Hi

I've got a Daniel JeanRichard 25020 watch long time ago and here is the link

Daniel Jean Richard Watches CHRONOSCOPE 25020 Watchbox Knokke Antwerp

A pusher button is missing, and the company's repair centre said it would cost $1300 to repair as it includes a mandatory $1100 service (and $200 for the pusher). They said the service includes lubrication, mechanism adjustment, timing regulation, testings. I must purchase the full service even if I only want the button fixed. Do you think it worth it to repair?

It is in Australian dollar, about x0.93 US dollar

The service fee is quite expensive, do you think I can find someone else to repair it?

Thank you!
"Tell em they're dreamin!"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi

OP's here.

Thank you all for the advice! Now I can see how ridiculous the service fee is. I don't know a lot about watches, but with your help I finally figured out what a rip off it is!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much mate! This should save me $1200 with which I can buy a new watch!

If in Melbourne, try Bob Shao, 100 Russell St, 9650 3735. He fixes for the main jewellers in CBD. I have an Orient Star with him, service is $80. I saw your post on WP.

Oops, you are in ACT. You can post to Bob. Or try these guys A.J. Watch Repairs Pty. Ltd. - Home and see what they want relative to Bob's typical $80.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts