WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I pulled this out of my box last week, and it has been with me on my latest trip. I added the correct 1039-71 bracelet and it wears perfectly. Normally I am the first to propose that a vintage speedmaster is left unpolished and cosmetically untouched. Here is an exception, and all photos here are post STS Omega Service.

P9020032.jpg
145.022-71

I bought this some years ago from a seller who has since been discredited - in that he claimed to be a retired Omega watchmaker, and that his watches were serviced.
That was the claim with this one, and within a month the watch exhibited chrono creep and poor timekeeping, so at best it was poorly adjusted, and at worst it was untouched. So at the time I over paid. Never again have I trusted a seller's word on history without documentation. However the watch itself is solid and basically in good condition - I bear the seller no ill will. Caveat Emptor.

P9020016.jpg

P9020017.jpg
At the beginning of the summer I sent it off to STS, with instructions to polish the case, but leave all the hands and dial.
You will note the hour chrono is unpainted. Hi resolution photos really show the degradation of the dial, which in real life is almost unnoticeable apart from a pleasing patina.

P9020018.jpg
Note the spots on the dial and the unpainted subdial hand

This is a -71, so has a square tail chrono, a DN90 bezel with tall TACHYMETRE letters, and a stepped dial.

P9020021.jpg
Stepped dial. Note also the degraded lume on the Chrono Second hand

P9020023.jpg
Here the new pusher tube can clearly be seen

P9020108.jpg
Showing the clasp, 1039-71. Arguably too early as bracelets tended to be slightly later than the watch, but its all Ive got, and I dont care that much.

I feel that the 1970's speedmasters have a great appeal for those looking for a vintage look, while retaining the easier to service 861. (I mean easier to get serviced!) The prices of these have firmed up, but there are still bargains out there, if you are ready to pay for a proper service.

For me, if I am off into the middle of nowhere with uncertain conditions, I take a 70's Speedmaster. (Except to a rainforest - then its a Seiko!)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Love seeing this. How many speedys are you up to these days, spacefruit?? Any shots of the entire collection??

Sent from my  iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Love seeing this. How many speedys are you up to these days, spacefruit?? Any shots of the entire collection??

Sent from my  iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
+1 on that i would love to see his complete collection too

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found a photo of this watch pre service:

32951094 face.jpg

The watch itself was in sound condition.

What can clearly be seen is the hour recorder "creep".

Instead of resetting to TDC the hand settles somewhere past TDC - it varies where it actually stops, but its not where it should be.

While this problem could be addressed in isolation, if I see this on one of my watches I service it. For me servicing is a regular and necessary part of owning a mechanical watch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts