WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been wanting an Omega Seamaster Professional since I first laid eyes on when as a 16 year old. Fast forward to my 32nd birthday and I was just gifted one by my significant other (I am a very lucky man!).

Here's my purchase journey:

While I always wanted the SMP, I took a good and hard look at other brands and models. My other watch is a Sinn 104 which I love, but rarely wear. Why?
  • I find that it's too heavy at 155g. I could always feel the heft which I personally don't like.
  • I find that I have to take it off to work, and rarely put it back on. My work is primarily on a laptop, sitting and standing. The Sinn's 104 fine link band would hit the edge of my laptop while typing which was quite uncomfortable.
  • It's not easily adjustable to my wrist which ranges from 6.5" to 7.5" depending on if I've worked out that day (I do barbell intensive workouts that work my wrist).
So I began my search looking for a lightweight watch that's a second skin. Something so comfortable, I would forgot that I'm wearing it so it would never come off my wrist unless sleeping. I also wanted it to be beautiful (to me).

To be honest, my search began with the Rolex Explorer (the new 2021 36mm version). I quickly found out it would be very, very difficult to purchase from an AD at MSRP. I called about 10 stores. I wasn't interested in paying $10k grey market for a $6.5k MSRP watch! We wanted to stay between $5-6k.

Here are some other watches I tried on:
  • Aqua Terra: 38mm looked nice on my wrist, but was a little too dressy and formal.
  • Seamaster professional no time to die: I really wanted to like this. Weight was perfect. But that Milanese bracelet just doesn't sit right on the wrist as some YouTube reviewers have noted. The band isn't flexible enough when closed. Also quite expensive vs budget.
  • Tudor Pegalos: lightweight titanium but not striking enough for me looks-wise
  • Grand Seiko: Beautiful, especially with Snowflake and lightweight. However like the aqua terra a bit too dressy

Ultimately, I ended up with the classic blue wave dial Seamaster professional on the recently released Omega rubber deployment clasp. It weighs 122g, much lighter than the Sinn although I would have preferred to be under 100g.

My Verdict 12 hours into ownership

• I'm loving the looks of it. I find myself looking at the watch and smiling. A sign that I got what I wanted in the aesthetics dept.
  • I'm loving the legibility. I find it much easier to tell the time than the Sinn 104 (again just my opinion)
  • I'm not loving the thickness, something I overlooked. the Sinn is 11.5mm thick whereas the Omega is 13.7mm.
  • I'm concerned about the comfort. It's certainly improved vs the Sinn. I would enjoy it more if I could reduce the thickness on the bottom more and have some micro adjustment.

OVERALL: I'm split between keeping it vs returning it (have a 2 week window). I'm leaning towards keeping it, especially if I can figure out some ways to make it more comfortable.

Here's my question:

I think the comfort could be substantially improved (for me) if I had a strap that was custom fit for my wrist. I want the watch to wear as more of a 'second skin' that it does. The issue I have at the moment is the 'sandwich' of rubber, metal, and rubber along with the lack of micro adjustability. I know there are many options for custom straps. Does anyone have any recommendations that are...
  • Lightweight (titanium or rubber, leather may not hold up to the abuse)
  • Extremely low profile with no to minimal overlap
  • Have some micro adjustability
Any recommendations would be appreciated! Price < $1k USD. I would post in the strap forum, but unfortunately I cannot make posts there yet.

Also any other advice would be appreciated. It may just be that I need to give this sometime to get used to it as I'm currently used to not wearing a watch at all.
Watch Hand Cabinetry Analog watch Light

Watch Postal scale Scale Analog watch Clock

Leg Knee Gesture Thigh Calf

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Many rave about the OEM strap/deployant buckle. Personally, I don’t like it for the same reasons you mentioned. Perhaps switching to a traditional tang buckle? Added to that, I think there are some that look better. Although black, I went this route (Hirsch Accent and Tiger). The Tiger (on my Breitling) comes in blue, and they make one called the Robby you may like (blue rubber on the back/sides). They are guaranteed for 3 years and are waterproof.
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Fence

Watch Cloud Sky Water Analog watch

Watch Plant Leaf Botany Clock

Another option: Perhaps switching to a traditional tang buckle on the OEM strap.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Have you looked into a Cartier Santos SS medium? Very versatile sporty watch, the could used for a formal setting which you will eventually require. but sporty enough for your current needs. It comes with a leather calf strap that is very comfortable out of the box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions. I will look into the Hirsh strapss and add the Santos to my list to try on within my return window. Funny thing about the Santos is that it's an affordable version of a watch that I would strongly consider if I could afford it right now -- the Royal Oak.

@hedet I went ahead and ordered with priority shipping one of the watch stewart straps. Looks like it might be a potential solution. May I ask what color yours is? I'm not sure if it's 'Navy' or "blue'. It looks to match your dial quite well.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I bought it lightly used so I’m not sure unfortunately, but I would guess it’s the navy, as it’s a fairly dark shade

·
Registered
541 Posts
Have a look at the Omega NATOs. The straps themselves are extremely low profile, they do stack under the watch though making it sit higher on the wrist. I’m considering one for my Planet Ocean.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions. I will look into the Hirsh strapss and add the Santos to my list to try on within my return window. Funny thing about the Santos is that it's an affordable version of a watch that I would strongly consider if I could afford it right now -- the Royal Oak.

@hedet I went ahead and ordered with priority shipping one of the watch stewart straps. Looks like it might be a potential solution. May I ask what color yours is? I'm not sure if it's 'Navy' or "blue'. It looks to match your dial quite well.
Only downside for the Santos is that the bezel could be a scratch magnet. Have TT large which still looks new after two years.

Another good video here..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Another vote for NATOs. You can find lots of pictures around - the SMP looks great on a wide range of NATOs. They're light, breathable, comfortable, and generally have enough holes that adjustability isn't too much of an issue.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Either tang buckle OEM rubber, or a navy/gray stripe Erika's. Her straps are more expensive than other parachute straps, but I've found them to be better quality and they're the most comfortable straps I own.
Watch Analog watch White Clock Font

Watch Hand Arm Tableware Analog watch

·
Registered
872 Posts
Great watch, looks fantastic on the deployant! I have the Sedna/Blue 300m on Omega blue rubber with buckle, and love it.

Just because you mention 'second skin' straps, I'll share that my Apple Watch on apple's stock sport band is by FAR the most comfortable strap I own for all day wear, and the only watch strap I can comfortably wear for extended sessions at the computer keyboard. It's thin, single layer on the outside of my wrist where it rests for typing, flexible, doesn't hit or scratch my laptop or desk, doesn't absorb water and at least so far stays looking brand new after years of wear in heavy rotation.

I don't love my Apple Watch the way I like my mechanical watches, not even close. But the sport band has been a significant part of why my Apple Watch keeps winning more and more wrist time - combined with notifications and the aways-on watch face in recent models that makes it a much better watch.

If I could put a dark blue Apple sport strap on my blue 300m in a way that didn't look ridiculous... that'd be a game changer.

I've always been looking for lower-profile straps for daily wear, and while there are several cloth/composite straps I like a lot, even just basic hand washing leaves them wet for hours, which simply isn't going to work for me - so it's rubber and bracelets on my Omegas.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
The previous gen omega 300 can be had in titanium if you want the weight cut by 1/3 and the Sinn would be pretty light on a rubber too.

Reactions: sdiver68

·
Registered
263 Posts
Either tang buckle OEM rubber, or a navy/gray stripe Erika's. Her straps are more expensive than other parachute straps, but I've found them to be better quality and they're the most comfortable straps I own.
View attachment 16117130
View attachment 16117133
Watch Hand Analog watch Silver Rectangle

I second this, it's an ideal strap for the SMP, but having a watch at a comparable 11mm thick and titanium (Zenith) nothing hides the thickness when comparing the two, it's on the border of not being manageable.

I have found, not changing immediately from the Zenith to the Omega, or worse from my Santos Dumont directly, which is 5mm thick, to be best, leave a bit of time. After a week of wearing the Omega it's no longer noticeable (on a perfect fitting MN strap) you'll find your perspective of size has shifted.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I recommend something in titanium and thinner. A Strap will not help much as it is still a thick watch.

Some reading upon the history of the Santos is advised.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
The previous gen omega 300 can be had in titanium if you want the weight cut by 1/3 and the Sinn would be pretty light on a rubber too.
2231.50, have it on WR alerts. But to be honest, I might have trouble pulling the trigger with already having an Oceanus S100 and 2262.50 Seamaster.

·
Premium Member
38,811 Posts
One of the best models Omega has ever made, IMHO.

Continue to enjoy it!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Get a Peter Blake, strap a rubber and call it a day.

Something tells me you may not be pleased with that either.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Personally I still prefer the rubber on folding clasp, it gives the watch a nice upscaled look and feel. The rubber is very soft and clasp certainly makes wearing it much easier. I say give it a chance, you might change your mind after a few days!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts