WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

16710 GMT Purchase

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  135922 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am interested in picking up a 16710 Pepsi GMT and was wondering if there was anything I should be aware of or look for in terms of production years, serial numbers, etc. I am hesitant to buy an older watch and am fine paying what I assume is a premium to purchase from a reputable dealer that may provide their own in-house warranty for at least a short period of time. I’ve seen quite a range in pricing for watches that look to be in similar condition and am not really sure where to start. I understand that obviously a full set with box and papers will be on the higher end of the price range. Anything I should take into consideration when looking for an older Rolex like this would be appreciated. And also if there is anything I should be aware of after purchasing in terms of servicing, etc. Thanks!

#2 ·
Good luck. There are holes and no holes cases. Older movement and newer movement. SEL versus non-SEL bracelets. Tritium and luminova dials. 1 year of "Swiss" only. They are all sold with Pepsi inserts these days, regardless of how they were sold originally. Almost all have been serviced by someone at this ppint and given a polish. Buy the buyer!

#3 ·
Check the serial number on the certificate to see if it is an LN, which means it originally came with a black bezel and the Pepsi bezel may not be original. The older models come with lug holes (change happened around 2001) and newer models with SEL (around 1999). Some looking for combination of lug holes + SELs focus on certain years. There is a ton of research on the net on what is period correct so do check up on that.

#4 ·
I'm like you - I really want an older coke or Pepsi really. But to @jason10mm point - you have to buy the buyer. If I can change your mind (not that it is any of my biz) - I would go modern if you're shelling out that kind of change.

#5 ·
Don’t worry about the bezel insert. They’re interchangeable. Often a 16710 with the black insert will cost slightly less than one with a Pepsi insert. You can still buy any one of the 3 inserts from a Rolex for about $150. Papers are nice to have, but the condition of the watch is much more important. Buy from a reputable dealer, even if that means paying a slight premium, but hold him to his word. If the watch is described as mint make sure it really is. Many dealers abuse descriptions like mint, excellent, like new, etc. I had a great experience with Bernard Watches. No papers but the watch was truly in ‘like new’ condition.
Finally, decide which elements are most important to you: tritium dial, SELs, lug holes, Swiss only dial...
Good luck.

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.