WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was pleased to be able to examine carefully a nice fine quality verge by a respected English maker that is one of first to make long case clocks in England. Missing glass and hands removed to prevent damage. Indicates date. Shown here only as typical of the better Brit verge movement type before 1700. My photos on tabletop o.k. with the serious and selective collector restorer.

tough time loading. forgot to set 14meg camera down to 5 to get under 900k image size.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
That has to be the earliest watch I've seen posted on this forum, amazing workmaship.
How they produced the ornate pierced pillars which separate the plates is beyond me.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
That has to be the earliest watch I've seen posted on this forum, amazing workmaship.
How they produced the ornate pierced pillars which separate the plates is beyond me.
Indeed awesome. There was a link to an even earlier watch posted in here by aditya a few years back: Home

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Wow! That is cool. Even has a date window.. I would love to see what something like this looked like when it was new. I am guessing the dial was silver with gold wash on it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Very nice watch ! I like the big engraved balance cock.

I sold a similar watch some years ago :

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Superb detail photos here by Pianist. Bet that old one sold easily. Any more to show?

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you like these old watches, here is a nice onion made by Rousseau à Paris around 1730 :

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
The pillars holding the bridge plates together are amazing :) .... on all of them!

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Very good work on that silver restoration. The detail is preserved so the cleaning was probably not mechanical. I know my ex-'s husband applied a process to clean tarnish from gold coins which had been recovered from old ship wrecks. It was some kind of electrical process. It worked and they look amazing. Maybe something like that was done here??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts