WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Vintage Watchuseekers,
This was my late grandfather's 17 jewel Titus. I had it serviced, and you might want to share info you may know about it. It's around 35 mm, has nickel casing with stainless steel back and a really 30s or 40s original antique looking bracelet which I'll post later. I had that changed with an 18 mm leather brown crocodile because the original really looks out of this age now. The word incabloc on the dial I think either means non-magnetic or shock-proof.

I love this watch. Its original crystal had a cyclops eye, but it was cracked open by my grandfather. He was a doctor in peace time and a guerilla in the mountains of Bulacan in WWII when the Japanese invaded us. The air intrusion from the cracked open crystal aged the dial, and after the cleaning, I left the antiquated look because it looks fine to me like an old newspaper look. I may not have it redialed anymore, but if you have other opinions about that, you can also advise me. I may not have a cyclops eye placed anymore on the crystal too. Thanks and hope you like this post.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Incabloc refers to the type of shock protection in the watch.

I don't think that this watch dates to the 1940s. The 1960s would be closer. The movement appears to be a FHF 96-4 caliber (Fontainemelon).

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I agree with JimH that it's likely 1960s. You won't see a date window like that in the 1940s. Also center seconds were rare in the 1940s.
I wouldn't suggest you get it redialed as it is legible. Thank you for your post.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with JimH that it's likely 1960s. You won't see a date window like that in the 1940s. Also center seconds were rare in the 1940s.
I wouldn't suggest you get it redialed as it is legible. Thank you for your post.
Gosh, I'm glad I posted this. 'was thinking 40s because of this bracelet. It was attached to it when my mom gave it to me in 2002. I don't know if she used it too even if it was my grandfather's. The diameter is small at 30-35 mm making it possible for women to wear.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Gosh, I'm glad I posted this. 'was thinking 40s because of this bracelet. It was attached to it when my mom gave it to me in 2002. I don't know if she used it too even if it was my grandfather's. The diameter is small at 30-35 mm making it possible for women to wear.
The bracelet looks to be from the 70's to me, as does the watch...

30-35 mm was a common size for a mans watch in the 60-70s time period. Women today might wear it, but in that period this was considered way to big to interest a woman. And the bracelet is a man's bracelet. But you know your mom's tastes better than we do!

There are a lot of these 17 jeweled Titus winders available. They were generally treated like something you wanted to keep.

Titus, Belair, Bucherer, and some brands like Candino are the source of great watches at reasonable prices in todays market.

Write down what you know and put it with the watch. Someone someday will really appreciate that.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bracelet looks to be from the 70's to me, as does the watch...

30-35 mm was a common size for a mans watch in the 60-70s time period. Women today might wear it, but in that period this was considered way to big to interest a woman. And the bracelet is a man's bracelet. But you know your mom's tastes better than we do!

There are a lot of these 17 jeweled Titus winders available. They were generally treated like something you wanted to keep.

Titus, Belair, Bucherer, and some brands like Candino are the source of great watches at reasonable prices in todays market.

Write down what you know and put it with the watch. Someone someday will really appreciate that.
Thanks Eeeb. I think my mom just kept it wrapped in cloth and in plastic because of the crack. I'm surprised the bracelet is from the 70s. I was a 70s kid myself.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Thanks Eeeb. I think my mom just kept it wrapped in cloth and in plastic because of the crack. I'm surprised the bracelet is from the 70s. I was a 70s kid myself.
Hummmm... well, I remember the 70s! :-d Great times except for the war....
hummmm... well, some things never seem to change :think:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts