WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have Columbus 0 and 18 size good quality blued steel watch cases. Uncommon, only briefly
fashionable. Only good quality source seems to be Illinois Watch Case Co. Had 0s Columbus for a long time. Just paid a little extra for an 18s Columbus. Seller photo here. The gold on these 2 of 1895+ is solid alloy except bows. Very well made. 1900 ads are fun. Notice oxidized Nubian and Tasty for case descriptions. The 18s is marked Gunmetal Nubian. Except for Ingersolls, not many made, but refreshing visually compared to the usual gold and silver. Would appreciate comments concerning this case style.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
I have never seen a gun metal case... silveroid seem fairly uncommon too.

The bluing does not seem as rich as I have seen on guns. I know guns need re-bluing every so often. I wonder if these case could be re-blued?? (I doubt it.)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The finish looks great, I believe that the bluing method used would be a low temperature salt bluing method, that does not achieve the rich color of high temperature bluing. They also lack the high polish required for a rich blue, which shold not diminish our appreciation of the effect, it makes for a very attractive watch case.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 6 size was not used much. The 18 size was. Interior like the small one but external surfaces uneven lighter shade. 2 color gold inlays a little crude but nice thick and solid. I tried a little gun blue liquid. Too blue not black enough. Wiped off o.k..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
A watchmaker friend of mine seems to be able to re-blue cases and hands by using the flame of a candle. I have tried it but only ended up burning things. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts