WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Am new to the forum, but have been a long time lurker! I was lucky enough to secure this piece which has over 1ct of diamonds and weighs 30gms of 18k.
It is superb quality and the movement 'ticks' faster than my vintage Rolex oyster(winder). Could it be a Patek? I have not had it looked at yet to see if it is signed under the bridge(bit scared to have just anyone pull it apart).
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I know you guys can recognize anything that ticks.:)
Al

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Wow. That's a stunning watch.

I don't see any markings on the movement, which is odd - even unbranded watches usually have some identification on the movement! With the back that is designed to open easily, that inner back to protect the movement, the small number of visible jewels, and the general look of the case... this might be pretty old. The dial looks like hand-painted enamel, and is reminiscent of ladies' pocket watches from the late 1800s/very early 1900s.

The round engraved case reminds me of this:

That's my 1923 ladies Hamilton with wire lugs.

The lugs on yours are puzzling. They look typical for watches with silk cord bands, which is more typical for the mid 1930s and later. However, that's going by American standards, and I get a very European vibe from this watch - France or the French-speaking bits of Switzerland (like Geneva).

Okay, so here is my very wild and probably inaccurate guess: this is a custom-made watch from a Parisian or Swiss jeweler, dating back to around 1900. Er, you've already taken it to a jeweler to estimate value for insurance purposes, right?

EDIT: Ah, a little Googling came up with this watch (Ladies 18K Gold Bracelet Watch - Bogoff Vintage Wrist Watch # 6595) that has a similar dial and movement, albeit in a much, much plainer case. Swiss, 1890.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts