WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this Marvin off eBay long ago so I don't even know what I paid for it as it is has been in my collection. It's in fine shape and has a serial on the back of the case.

I haven't opened it, and likely won't as I'll leave that to my buddy who is a watchmaker. It keeps great time - I wore it for a few days last week.

Anyone seen anything like this? I don't come across too many Marvins.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Hi. That's a fine looking watch. I have a couple of Marvins - afaik there is no list of serial numbers on the web that you can refer to.

We don't do valuations in here; but of course any solid 18K gold watch has an intrinsic value. We recommend using ebay to gain an idea of the likely price a watch would achieve if sold through an online auction. See:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f295/how-find-value-your-watch-436469.html

If a similar Marvin can't be found, I would suggest that the value would be similar to that of an 18k Tissot. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Marvin is a rather under-appreciated brand. They made some very good watches in the '50s and 60s, and their in-house, 500 series of movements (one of which probably powers yours) was quite good.

Marvins generally represent very good value in the vintage market, as few collectors focus on them. One thing to consider, though, is that spare parts availability can be a challenge.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I suggest you look for Marvins on eBay.co.uk. The Marvin brand was bigger in the UK than the US.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Marvin is a rather under-appreciated brand. They made some very good watches in the '50s and 60s, and their in-house, 500 series of movements (one of which probably powers yours) was quite good.

Marvins generally represent very good value in the vintage market, as few collectors focus on them. One thing to consider, though, is that spare parts availability can be a challenge.

Marvin has some nice deco style watches too.

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
I find this helpful:
Chrono24 - Search for a wristwatch

Ebay can be unreliable. Sometimes you get real bargains. I picked up a rose gold Omega cal. 285 with original buckle and in MINT condition for 98 GBP. I could easily sell it for 350-400 GBP. I find that scouring the dealer sites is best gauge. Here is another good search engine:
Gisbert A. Joseph – Joseph-Watches.com
Both of the above only search one vendor's site...

... now THIS is a search engine. It searches all the major watch sales forums :-!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts