1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The back is also 18k gold, look at the pic of the back. It's stamped 18k, 750. I'm in suburban Phila and it's in Cherry Hill NJ. I went to look at that watch in person. It wasn't running. They said they wound it when they had it open. The chronograph does reset to zero. It looks like it's been stored in a bag full of coins and bounced around a bit. It is nicked up and scratched a lot on every surface. You can see it best on the back, but the rest of the watch is in similar condition. It is missing the 18k gold Omega deployant. I priced one at the Omega boutique this past April and they want $2700 for the gold deployant! The bezel is aluminum and it is nicked up. The watch will need a good polishing along with a new crown and bezel, and the usual suspects (pushers, seals) when they do a service. If the crown and pushers are 18k that could be quite a bit for parts. The gold crown is ~$140. In the Omega vintage database it's a BU 145.0055, gold case, aluminum bezel. I'm guessing the other bits are gold also. Has anyone bid on it yet?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It's up to $3150. It's not going to be a great bargain.

·
Banned
437 Posts
there aren't may of these around - i believe less than 300 were made as a limited run - The retail price on these is very steep -

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
MSRP = $13500. Still offered new @ $10995 with an up to 6 month wait to find it. There are a few previously owned for sale in Europe. If it was brand new it would still take $3000 to get the gold deployant and a new strap. This one is as rough as yours is pristine (living in a safe wrapped in plastic).

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well the watch is going to need a new winding stem and possibly crown. No one knows why mechanically the winding stem was removed thus giving fear the movement could have been damaged.

Costs I would expect to see on this watch:

1. Full maintenance: 550 (CHP has surged against our weak dollar...)
2. New Bezel: 200
3. New Strap and Deployment 3000

Total roughly about 3750 to bring it up to brand new condition and this also has no cards or original packaging. So at it's current price of 3150 + 3750 = 6900 this becomes such a bad deal and I'm sure some poor chap is going to bid up to 4k on the watch so blah bad deal... Too bad such a beautiful watch could be ruined by such horrendous maintenance and care. Or this watch was stolen...meh

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It's advertised as in running condition, so if it isn't it goes back to the seller. They told me they wound it from the inside when it was open. The watch has not been handled gently. You can see the scratches on the back. That didn't come from a metal bracelet hitting the back as this watch has a leather strap. I would add to your estimated costs, crown and pushers. If they are also 18k gold another $300-$500. It will be interesting to see what it sells for.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Only if it had the original omega deployant, even for another $1K it would have been a good price.... They are so rare that I am still thinking about it. Maybe the FAD can get a good price on the deployant? Such a waste for such a rare watch to be kept in this state. You would think the sellers would have had it serviced to get a better price. Since the piece does not come with papers or box, what would everyone think of just using a regular s/s deployant with it? In gold the speedy must have a nice weight to it...

Found an article about it here.
http://www.fratellowatches.com/archives/2009/08/24/omega-speedmaster-professional-moonphase/

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I read that article and it gave me the bug. It is a heavy piece. I'm wearing a similar watch right now :).

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
not worth it. watch is beat to hell, missing deployment, and broken. the cost to replace parts vs getting it 2nd hand new with papers is too much.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
At a minimum it's worth its' weight in gold, at least 75% of its' weight in gold. Knowing how much the case weighs is critical to placing an apprpriate bid. I'll bid a few hundred over that value.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It went for $5610. The watch weighed 3.8 ounces. 3.8oz x $1600/oz x 75% = $4560. $5610 is not a terrible price. Parts and repairs @$1000 and a new deployant/strap @ $3000 = $9610. Not a bargain compared to what's available, but reasonable. Did anybody here buy it?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
5610 lawl gluck to getting that value back from the watch whoever bought it
I can't believe someone paid that much for it considering the condition it is in and no papers or box.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It'll be interesting to see if it gets returned within the seven days when the buyer sees what condition it's in.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
lol so what hmmm 5610 + 3750 so total someone is looking to spend around 10360 to bring it up to new when you could just buy a used complete unmolested example from Europe or dealer with box and papers...wow. Usually they come with a super nice presentation kit much like the YG Speedy 3195.50 and even that comes with a gold bracelet for round 10k....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts