WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone wear NATO straps on larger lugs (I wear a 18mm NATO on 19mm lugs)? Are there significant long-term risks associated with this, from an engineering perspective?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I wouldn't be worried that the strap (NATO one) will tear apart due to using the wrong size and smaller means weaker.. It just doest make sense as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't be worried that the strap (NATO one) will tear apart due to using the wrong size and smaller means weaker.. It just doest make sense as far as I'm concerned.
I am not worried about the strap. I am concerned about the possibility of the spring bars bending/coming off.

·
Registered
19,230 Posts
Only when you use fat springbars, the 1mm gap is tolerable.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You're probably better off using a 20mm NATO on a 19mm lug width. That's what I do with my Tissot PRC200, and it looks far better than the gap of an 18mm NATO on it. Picture for reference:

IMG_1667.jpg

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're probably better off using a 20mm NATO on a 19mm lug width. That's what I do with my Tissot PRC200, and it looks far better than the gap of an 18mm NATO on it.
I agree. But at the same time I am afraid there might be a lot of undue pressure on the spring bars.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have a few odd lug sized watches (19, 21 and two 23s). I hate using the size bellow as the viewable lugs drive me nuts. I either find the right size strap or use the 1mm larger even NATO - never had any issues with any of them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
ive used a very soft/thin 20mm strap on an 18mm lug width, only because at the time I had no choice as I wanted to use the casio w800 for my tropical vacation. It looks very similar to the tissot illini posted. Deep down inside I hated it. I already ordered another thin 18mm to fix this problem.

Would I go the other way like you have? no way. I tried to for exactly 3 minutes on my skx007 and absolutely hated the visible spring bar.

just go on .........s and order some great quality 9 dollar straps.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The strap can slip sideways and catch a spring bar shoulder and pop it off. I had this happen and if it wasn’t for carpet, it would have been an expensive lesson. Plus, it just looks stupid. You can use tiny o-rings to take up the gap. I use them on a couple of watches.

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
This. If you can’t or won’t get the correct size, it’s much safer to go up than down.

The strap can slip sideways and catch a spring bar shoulder and pop it off. I had this happen and if it wasn’t for carpet, it would have been an expensive lesson. Plus, it just looks stupid. You can use tiny o-rings to take up the gap. I use them on a couple of watches.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I use 20mm NATOs on 19mm lugs from Seiko to Omega. I have had no problems with spring bar failure and I am physically very active. The fit is snug and nothing moves/ slides. I also cannot bear to see the gap when I tried 18mm NATOs on these watches.

I have read that perlon straps can grab double flange spring bars and lead to failure.

·
Registered
19,230 Posts
Whenever you go larger or smaller, do not exceed 1mm in gap.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, that is exactly what I am afraid of.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Crown & Buckle and Clockwork Synergy carry 19mm NATOs and perlons, just for your info.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have read that perlon straps can grab double flange spring bars and lead to failure.
I guess that is possible with perlon, being a very elastic material. I prefer NATOs anyway, there is a limit to which the watch can slide on your wrist.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts