WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 11 month with the watchmaker I finially received my 1903 IWC pocket watch back.It needed extensive repairs.
Now it looks absolutely mint! Just like new.
Now I just have to find out who Dietrich & Cie Bale is!!
I'm also not any closer in finding out what the R under the movement number represents.

See previous thread:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/advice-iwc-pocket-watch-484537.html

It received a complete overhaul, including new Glass and matching Hands.

New balance staff handmade
New handmade minute wheel
Replaced pinion
Plus various other parts replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
This looks like the product of a time machine!! You MUST be very pleased...

What was the cost of the restoration in relation to the acquisition cost of the piece? I suspect they were similar...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The watch was a gift from a friend. Her Father was a watchmaker and this watch, including some others, was left in his workshop when he died.
She knew I was in to pocket watches so she gifted them to me. I don't know what happened to all the wrist watches that were left.
The repairs were expensive but considering all the work that went in to it quite resonable I think.
I paid NZ$900.- (US$ 700.-)

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Now I just have to find out who Dietrich & Cie Bale is!!I'm also not any closer in finding out what the R under the movement number represents.
Congratulations on a great restoration!

Bale could be a village or district near to Auxerre, France but it is more likely the French spelling of Basel. Bâle - Wikipédia

As a tip, do your searching on the French Google or German Google Good luck and let us know if you find anything!

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
That's an excellent restoration.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Superb! Agree with previous poster than your engraving is for a jeweler in Basel, Switzerland. Was this a local watchsmith?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Awesome watch! I wish I owned it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts