WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
First of all I'm not looking for a valuation here. Just asking a sort of general "what would you do?" question, and also maybe providing some images that forum members might find interesting.

I have this gold ladies' Rolex watch from 1927 (according to the serial number). It's a lovely little thing but the movement doesn't work (winder won't turn) and it has some rust damage.

There are things I like about this watch beyond monetary value - I like that it is a gold watch which survived being melted down in WWII. I like the engraving on the back which could indicate it was a 21st birthday present (just my theory).

However I'm thinking of selling it for whatever small return I can get - and I realise that despite the word "Rolex" on the dial it may not be worth very much. My conundrum is this: pay to get the rust cleaned off and the movement returned to working order, in the hope of selling for at least what I paid for it + what I paid for the service; or sell it as it is, hopefully not making a loss on what I originally paid. The risk of the former being that I could pay more for the service than the watch is worth, and make a big loss when I sell it.

To take the risk on getting a good price for the watch in working order, or just sell now? Any thoughts?

IMG_1230.jpg IMG_1231.jpg IMG_1248.jpg IMG_1246.jpg IMG_1242.jpg IMG_1237.jpg IMG_1239.jpg IMG_1244.jpg

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
i could not find a reason to fix it, its a small boring ladies watch but that is personal and should not be taken as a guide

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sell as is. You seldom recover the cost of service in a sale. If it needs parts they could be tough to find. And women’s watches aren’t popular.

This is likely to sell as gold scrap or parts (...shame given how long it has survived).

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sell as is. You seldom recover the cost of service in a sale. If it needs parts they could be tough to find. And women’s watches aren’t popular.

This is likely to sell as gold scrap or parts (...shame given how long it has survived).

A shame indeed, if that is the case I'm tempted to hold onto it just to save it from that fate!

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,638 Posts
Agreed sell or keep. These aren’t collected and are too small for modern tastes. It will sell for scrap value, you will almost certainly take a loss if service especially if there is rust damage.

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
I agree with what has been said above. If it were running, I might encourage you to have it serviced in the hope that it would increase the possibility that someone would buy it to wear (as opposed to buying it to scrap). But the fact that it is not running just adds too much uncertainty. It could be a money pit, with very little upside.

·
Registered
449 Posts
A shame indeed, if that is the case I'm tempted to hold onto it just to save it from that fate!
If you’re inspired to rescue it from history’s horological trash bin, good for you! In which case I’d be inclined to send it to a watch maker for an estimate to get it running. It might be worth the postage to find out what it might take to give this survivor another decade or two...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. I bought the watch on a whim and this morning I was ready to sell it to fund my purchase of a new watch. Now I am convinced a Rolex watch which has seen more than 9 decades and been owned by who knows who and worn who knows where should be allowed to live!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
MRPB...thanks for asking. I would absolutely SERVICE! This is a nice / old / little / gold Rolex, that's asking you for a little TLC.

The 'trick'--is you will--is to have it Serviced by an Independent shop that will charge you for 'What they do', not because of ' What it is'.

In other words, Rolex or not, this is simply a Swiss, 15 jewel, time-only watch. Just about everyone & their cat back in Switzerland produced movements like this, and working on them is easy.

Then again: your's may have damage from corrosion to the hairspring...which may well require a new spring. This will be challenging, but not such a big problem...There will be other issues from corrosion, as well, but shops that deal in such pieces have seen this all before, and it's sometimes pretty amazing to see that there's still good steel beneath a layer of rust. And...I'll suggest that the hairspring is OK...

So: find a good shop. They'll clean your Old Rolex up for you, and the cost will probably surprise you...in a nice way! Good luck. Michael.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MRPB...thanks for asking. I would absolutely SERVICE! This is a nice / old / little / gold Rolex, that's asking you for a little TLC.

The 'trick'--is you will--is to have it Serviced by an Independent shop that will charge you for 'What they do', not because of ' What it is'.

In other words, Rolex or not, this is simply a Swiss, 15 jewel, time-only watch. Just about everyone & their cat back in Switzerland produced movements like this, and working on them is easy.

Then again: your's may have damage from corrosion to the hairspring...which may well require a new spring. This will be challenging, but not such a big problem...There will be other issues from corrosion, as well, but shops that deal in such pieces have seen this all before, and it's sometimes pretty amazing to see that there's still good steel beneath a layer of rust. And...I'll suggest that the hairspring is OK...

So: find a good shop. They'll clean your Old Rolex up for you, and the cost will probably surprise you...in a nice way! Good luck. Michael.
Thanks, Michael. I'll shop around and find somebody good and reasonable. And I'll report back to the forum!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts