WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this look any good. I am rather unsure whether it is original or not. The case is unmarked, but is apparently 18ct Gold. Could I have some advise if possible please.

Kindest Regards

Ben

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Movement is a cal. T17. It was a breakthrough at the time as it had a long power reserve (around 60 hours). Note that the regulator is drawn all the way to the side. In most cases this would lead me to believe the movement is off and needs a service and regulation.

As far as the case goes - I have seen that design before. However, these cases marked...... The dial is a redial...

Does this look any good. I am rather unsure whether it is original or not. The case is unmarked, but is apparently 18ct Gold. Could I have some advise if possible please.

Kindest Regards

Ben

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. How much difference in price does a redial make?, As the original watches I have seen like this are very very expensive.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Movement is a cal. T17. It was a breakthrough at the time as it had a long power reserve (around 60 hours). Note that the regulator is drawn all the way to the side. In most cases this would lead me to believe the movement is off and needs a service and regulation.

As far as the case goes - I have seen that design before. However, these cases marked...... The dial is a redial...

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I think the case is overbuffed. A large part of the value of anything old is originality. The reason original watches of that vintage sell for so much is because there are so few of them. Many people will pay much more for a spotty, faded dial than a redial. I believe it reasonable to assume that the more a redial differs from the original also affects the value. If you are looking at the watch as an "investment" it had better be cheap because you're just not going to ever sell it for top dallar. But, if you just want a cool looking, old, dress Omega (and it's not to expensive) it should fit the bill. I would ask myself " If I never sell it, will I still be happy spending this much on it?" (It would be interesting to see what everybody would pay.)
Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is great advice thank you. I do not plan to have it as an investment, just something unusual to wear, and I am happy with the price.

I will get my watchman to service it as well.

Thank you very much

Ben

I think the case is overbuffed. A large part of the value of anything old is originality. The reason original watches of that vintage sell for so much is because there are so few of them. Many people will pay much more for a spotty, faded dial than a redial. I believe it reasonable to assume that the more a redial differs from the original also affects the value. If you are looking at the watch as an "investment" it had better be cheap because you're just not going to ever sell it for top dallar. But, if you just want a cool looking, old, dress Omega (and it's not to expensive) it should fit the bill. I would ask myself " If I never sell it, will I still be happy spending this much on it?" (It would be interesting to see what everybody would pay.)
Don

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
That's what matters Ben! Is that inner part a rose color? I love tanks for dress wear myself- gold is better as well. What kind of time is it keeping? Remember, the addiction isn't complete until you compulsivly check every watch you own against an atomic clock.(extra points for checking it in various positions but testing it at various temperatures -like COSC, could indicate the need for professional help-and I don't mean a watchmaker)
Don

·
Registered
175 Posts
That is great advice thank you. I do not plan to have it as an investment, just something unusual to wear, and I am happy with the price.

I will get my watchman to service it as well.

Thank you very much

Ben
Hey Ben!

You watchman actually services watches? Mine only opens doors ;) Just kidding mate! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts