WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I caught this 1940 Bulova in the 'bay quite a while back. Not a great picture - didn't pay much. I was mostly planning on hi-grading some of the bracelet clasp parts for my engraved Senator with a similar bracelet.

It came in pretty tough looking. Quite dirty...

BeforeOverview.jpg

Opened it up and found a Bulova 10AX 15j movement. A puff with the blower allowed me to determine that the roller jewel was missing. But I decided that under the dirt was a nice little watch.

DirtyMovement.jpg

So I took it too pieces, replaced the roller table and the mainspring. Cleaned and lubricated.

CleanMovement.jpg

Tried to clean the dial. Made some progress but traded yellowed/dirty for lighter but with some speckling...

BeforeDial.jpg CleanedFace.jpg

Cleaned up the case with a little polish and elbow grease. Still needs a new crystal but that will wait until I am ordering several together. Came together nice I think.

Cased.jpg

Running for regulation now. Looking like it is going to be in the order of +20 sec/day.

Hope you enjoyed the show...

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Very nice! I love working on old Bulova's...they're very consistently amongst the best quality watches I've every worked on, and usually can be had for next to nothing. The quality of the the movements is consistently above their contemporaries. I cleaned up a '51 Bulova Director just last week with similar results:
Movement.JPG

The pallet fork typifies the level of quality in these movements:

Pallett.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One day I'd love to think I could do this sort of thing too.
A couple of years ago I couldn't do it. Several books, a bunch of too worn watches/loose movements and some tools. A little time on task...Presto-Change-o. The WUS watchmaking forum has helped a bunch.

I love working on old Bulova's...they're very consistently amongst the best quality watches
They are my favorites too. I have several brands in my collection, but Bulovas make up the biggest portion. Not only is the movement quality pretty high, but parts are typically pretty available. Only some of my early/mid 1920s stuff is a little tough.

Nice Director by the way.

Thanks for the nice comments.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My '36 10AE and '63 11AF say hi. I also think they are very underated and underpriced.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
The quality of the the movements is consistently above their contemporaries.
I would say Gruen was still a step above Bulova at this time. The pallet fork is of similar finish - but the Bulova is using ordinary banking pins, whereas at this stage Gruen was using (in the 420ss for example) solid bankings built in to the underside of the lever bridge - wonderful stuff.

Anyway, I agree - very nice and very underrated.

Lovely to see this resto :-!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts