WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice little handwind Doxa. The overall style and movement with incabloc shock absorption all appear to be of later vintage. I would guess 1960's.
If I could figure out the movement I would be able to get a more approximate date. Well if it was manufactured in the 60's that would disprove the rumor that Doxa watches can be dated by the serial number on the back case.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts

·
Moderator Public Forum
21,938 Posts
If I could figure out the movement I would be able to get a more approximate date. Well if it was manufactured in the 60's that would disprove the rumor that Doxa watches can be dated by the serial number on the back case.
Send an email to Roland Ranfft either through this website or his and include a picture of the movement. I had not heard of a number dating scheme for Doxa watches. I try to look at case, dial and hand style as well as the movement for clues about age.

My favorite Doxa is the 1950's Grafic.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the diameter of the movement in mm?

Try to get to the closest 0.1mm.

It appears to be something from the ETA 2410 family
bidfun-db ETA_2410: ETA 2410
That would be the movement. I thought it was an ETA, but I was looking on Dr. Ranfft's site and didn't see it. Thank you for the link.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Send an email to Roland Ranfft either through this website or his and include a picture of the movement. I had not heard of a number dating scheme for Doxa watches. I try to look at case, dial and hand style as well as the movement for clues about age.

My favorite Doxa is the 1950's Grafic.

I've seen a couple Doxa grafic watches on eBay for sale. They looked well aged and worn. A bit to expensive for what they were selling for.

·
Moderator Public Forum
21,938 Posts
I've seen a couple Doxa grafic watches on eBay for sale. They looked well aged and worn. A bit to expensive for what they were selling for.
Yes, the ones seen on Ebay are usually pretty doggy. Dials shot because the seals leaked, etc. If you can find one in nice shape it would make a fine addition to a collection. I believe it won more than one design award back in the 1950's.

The re-incarnated Doxa company has issued several updated versions of the Grafic. The first new model although larger stayed close to the original design and was quite attactive. Subsequent versions of the Grafic suffer from feature creep and the latest style is now ponderous in comparison. And pricey.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Hi ladies,

an acid test for the new search feature of my archive. The keyword "eta",
the feature "manual wind", the size "12 ... 22mm", and the characteristical
stud carrier gave precisely one possible calibre, this one:
bidfun-db ETA_2512_1: ETA 2512-1

This was produced between 1975 and 1983. The W in a circle on the
movement represents West End Watch Co. No idea whether the brand
belonged to West End, or Doxa bought a stock batch from West End.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi ladies,

an acid test for the new search feature of my archive. The keyword "eta",
the feature "manual wind", the size "12 ... 22mm", and the characteristical
stud carrier gave precisely one possible calibre, this one:
bidfun-db ETA_2512_1: ETA 2512-1

This was produced between 1975 and 1983. The W in a circle on the
movement represents West End Watch Co. No idea whether the brand
belonged to West End, or Doxa bought a stock batch from West End.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
I was trying to find information on the hallmark, but I didn't see it listed at Mikrolisk - was Feines für die Tasche... - Das Informationsportal rund um die Taschenuhr! . I thought it might have been West End Watch Co., but I wasn't so sure. The 2512 is to large of a movement, it's much closer to the 2410 in size.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Hi emmanuelgoldstein,

just look at this Westend in the archive:
bidfun-db 1043856031: 270: Gents West End Watch Co Sowar Automatic, ca. 1975 n.o.s.

It has the W, and it is too ugly to believe that somebody screwed things from
different watches together. But it was not the only sample where I've seen
this signature.

Simply compare all screw positions, It will only leave the conclusion that it is
a 2512-1. And in the end 15.3 and 17.2mm are not that far apart.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi emmanuelgoldstein,

just look at this Westend in the archive:
bidfun-db 1043856031: 270: Gents West End Watch Co Sowar Automatic, ca. 1975 n.o.s.

It has the W, and it is too ugly to believe that somebody screwed things from
different watches together. But it was not the only sample where I've seen
this signature.

Simply compare all screw positions, It will only leave the conclusion that it is
a 2512-1. And in the end 15.3 and 17.2mm are not that far apart.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
Danke, Herr Doktor!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts