WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Was wondering if anybody has some info on this watch for me? The title is pretty much all I know about it.

Was this commissioned by the government? Given by the government? The gold hallmark is in Arabic but believe it's 18k rose gold which is what I based the value on.
Replacement band (obviously) but everything is original. Works perfectly!
Market Value? Have only found wide ranges of value. Nothing accurate I feel.

It's a very cool watch and it great fun wearing it.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Hi
I have a similar type of Rolex, mine is from 1967 and has an Arab Crest.
seems Sultans had these custom done as gifts
I would hazard a guess your was done for airline pilots
Its a nice piece
adam

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No other information on this?

Regardless, Ive been wearing it for a few weeks now. Great watch. Loses a about 5min a day, so needs a service.
Put a new band on it. Makes it look way better and has a very classy look to it. Its going in the rotation.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
What other information can we give you... We'd need to see what it's got under the hood. I would expect it to have a cal. 475SC Calendograf (SC indicating a sweep second movement)- a Movado 470 with a calendar module:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Movado 475(SC)
Unfortunately the Ranfft archive does not give info on when the movement was discontinued- but I believe that your guess about it being from the 1950s is quite likely to be correct.
Just one thing- even if you find a serial number on the movement, it won't help dating it- there is no such thing as a "serial numbers by year" resource available for Movado. It's just one of these well-known brands, watches of which are collectible, but there is almost no way of knowing more about them. That, of course, is unless you've got a piece with original box and papers (which usually include a warranty with date of first purchase), or a watch which has a personalized caseback inscription with the date on which the watch was presented to its original owner.

Anyway, a beautiful watch, and I'd really like to see how it looks with the new strap- the old one, although nice, made the watch look "faded", so to speak. In my opinion, at least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts