WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt even know Elgin made bumper watches. Apparently they did not make many because on the serial site it says they only made 40k of them which is the lowest production Elgin Ive ever owned. I bought this not even knowing what it was. The dial is really neat and hard to photograph but the effect in person in sunlight it great. 34mm wide without crown too so pretty large for a 1951 Elgin. The problem was it needed to be demagnetized it was running like 10 minutes fast an hour. Now it running like a minute slow a day. Definitly getting this one serviced and also getting rid of the band on it and putting it on leather strap.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Ah, the Elgin Bumper Automatics! Great watches! Sadly, already obsolete when introduced!

I did a blog post on them a few years back. Actually, TWO blog posts.

Over on VWF, the Elgin crowd have found at least 5 different models. The 6801 you have is probably the most commonly seen, but there's also a solid gold model, a square model, a stainless, and anothergold filled one that's really wild! They only seem to have made them for 2 years, in two grades - the 607 with fixed balance jewels and the 618 with shock protected jewels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts