WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited this watch from my grandfather when he passed away 20 years ago. I put it in a box because I was young and more interested in trendier styles at the time. But recently I took it to a jeweler to have it cleaned and find out why it wasn't running and upon seeing it, the jeweler offered me US$500 cash. I declined his offer, but it made me curious to know more about it.

I want to have the watch refurbished now to be worn regularly. The movement is loose and can be heard moving around inside the case, but it runs and keeps decent time as long as it's left lying flat. But I have some questions about it and I'm looking for more info about it.

From what I've found, it seems to be highly collectible with the "date at 6" feature, closely matching the 1953 versions. The dial and hands are in excellent condition compared to some of the pictures I've seen. But what confuses me is that the name "Omega" does not appear under the symbol at 12:00. I can't find a picture online of another one exactly like it.

I don't know much about vintage watches, but I do know my grandfather and he loved his luxury items (cars, diamond ring, etc.) and I don't believe it's at all possible that he would either buy, or allow counterfeit parts to be used on his watch. I'd like to know your thoughts. He served in the US Air Force during both WWII and the Korean War, so I'm wondering if perhaps it's a military issue of some sort from around 1953. That would fit the era exactly.

As for the serial numbers, I didn't ask the jeweler to write them down, but the mechanics of the watch are genuine Omega. Only the dial has peaked my interest. Can you tell me anything that might quell my curiosity?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Nice watch, and a great way to remember your grandfather by. :) I think $500 is actually a really good offer considering that it's not running properly, but if it were my watch I wouldn't sell it for any amount of money.

The reason why there's no text under the emblem is because it was redialed/repainted in the past, probably because the dial started to age or moisture ruined the dial. Back then this wasn't uncommon, but nowadays collectors tend to pursue original examples that haven't been messed with. An original should like this:

Crown also looks replaced. The movement seems loose because it's a bumper movement, which means the rotor doesn't go around 360 degrees. It actually bumps off two springs which are hidden:

It should be from the '50s and should have a caliber 353/355 in it. I think if you were to get it professionally repainted again it wouldn't affect the value since it's already repainted, but that decision is up to you. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great news Kyle, thank you. If this were your watch, would you have it fully restored or just redialed? It does seem to lose about 3-5 minutes an hour. Thanks for the info!

Chris

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I would definitely have the movement restored, but I'm not sure about the redial part. I'm usually a stickler for original finishes, so I would get it redone to get it as close as possible to the original dial style. If you're not bothered by it though I say leave it as is. Good luck with your decision, let us know what you do with it! :-!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your thoughts Kyle. I'd love to have it look as original as possible without knocking down the value, though I would never, ever sell it! It was obviously repainted a long time ago because of the patina of the face, so I hesitate to touch it. I'm happy to be getting feedback from someone who knows more about it than I do! :) Thanks!

What would you do about the scratches on the crystal (acrylic?)? Would it be awful to have them removed?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts Kyle. I'd love to have it look as original as possible without knocking down the value, though I would never, ever sell it! It was obviously repainted a long time ago because of the patina of the face, so I hesitate to touch it. I'm happy to be getting feedback from someone who knows more about it than I do! :) Thanks!

What would you do about the scratches on the crystal (acrylic?)? Would it be awful to have them removed?
I don't see a problem in polishing them out. I do it all the time with my watches, but if the crystal is cracked you should replace it.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I read this thread with a great deal of interest, as I own a similar watch.

What troubles me a little bit is the jeweler offer of $500 to purchase the watch. That seems rather low for a solid gold watch and high for a non gold watch that needs work.

Since you don't mention the case metal, not sure what to think except to be careful.

Please note that I am on a mobile phone and the pictures don't show up here.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
gatorcpa

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gator, it's a steel case and has been well worn over the past 60+ years. But it turned out that all it needed to make it run was a good cleaning. My understanding is that the "date at 6" watches are the most sought-after, and that's probably why he offered me so much. Also, that was more than 5 years ago. I'd never consider selling it anyway, so no amount of money would be enough. It's nice to know it as value though. :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
The other option would be to find a replacement dial? Old dials do appear on eBay, or watchco in Australia sometimes has genuine omega service dials? But my view would be leave it alone. I like some nice patina, and keeping it the way your grandfather had it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts
the best way to have it restored is to send it to al archer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the advice. I'm really excited to get the watch in the best condition possible but I want it to still look old, and keep it the way my grandfather wore it. He was one of my heroes and that makes this piece infinitely more important to me.

Another question: How important is the strap? Shortly before he died, Daddy Bill put a cheap drugstore band on it but I'd like to have brown leather. Any advice on what kind of strap I should get? Is it worth it to spend the money for a real Omega strap, or does it really matter that much?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts