WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you think this is a redial? I was offered this a a fairly good price and have not researched redials enough. I need to get busy researching this. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
I can't tell if it's just a reflection or not, but some of the applied markers appear to have white paint covering the pointed tips of the marker. Sometimes this happens if the dial is repainted without removing the markers.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't suppose you can remove the dial and view its back? That tells all.

I'm with Dan. It's hard to say for sure, but it looks like white paint is on some marker tips (see also the edges of the R), which is a sign of a rough redial.

Reactions: jimdon5822

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Also the printed words just don't look right. Not crisp enough or something. I have zero expertise on Rolex though.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Redial. Except for the paint creeping up the markers, there's also the minute track. In some places the hour markers seem not to reach its outer edge, in some points they stretch beyond the track. The fonts do look funny indeed.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought so. Not such a great deal after all. I got excited when the price was $1k.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well I took another look at the watch in person and the dial looked original so I purchased it. I took it to the jeweler and he confirmed it was original. It was just a bad photo. I ended up trading it for a $1000 heavy 14kt gold chain I bought for $10 from a thrift store. I am super happy!

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
Certainly looks better with the new photos, but could be an older redial. The second hand may be a replacement, and the lume dots are probably not original (especially the one on top of the "I" in "SWISS"), but not a bad price overall. These often go in the $1200-$1300 range, and the condition is decent.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
First of all, I would suggest not to consult a jeweller, and to never let one service a watch. Let them tinker with pendants, neklaces, bracelets or whatnot, but don't let one even near the movement. The most that they can do with a watch is fixing a broken lug and other case repair jobs. I would not rely on their authenticity expertise either, not in terms of dial authenticity.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
When much is said: the Owner gets to decide what he or she thinks of the watch...I think redials are 100% OK, if they're 'well done', and the owner is happy. I will add, however, that the first picture really seemed to show a redial...the latest image, looks original...a little weird, but, such is the nature of photography! Michael.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First of all, I would suggest not to consult a jeweller, and to never let one service a watch. Let them tinker with pendants, neklaces, bracelets or whatnot, but don't let one even near the movement. The most that they can do with a watch is fixing a broken lug and other case repair jobs. I would not rely on their authenticity expertise either, not in terms of dial authenticity.
The guy I took it to actually sold Rolexes but I would not consider him an expert. I took it to the biggest Preowned dealer in town today and he says it's a factory dial. The lineup of the oyster perpetual underneath Rolex is an optical Illusion. I found a similar watch on the internet with similar hour markers and lume dots. The only difference is the hyphen between Oyster Perpetual and the replaced second hand on my watch. Now I don't know what to believe but leaning towards the Rolex dealers opinion. Either way I love the watch.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
I, on the other hand, am inclined to believe what I see, and I see a redial. It's got a crooked inscription, funny font, splashes of paint on the hour markers and a misaligned minute track. Rolex may be at times very overrated, especially by those who make considerable profit from selling them, but I'm quite sure that dial wouldn't have gone past their QC, even if the people inspecting it were drunk.

There doesn't seem to be an optical illusion here, and it's not that area of the crystal where an illusion could have occurred. It's not enough of an angle to blame the inscription misalignment on how was the photo taken, and if it were so, the sizing of the font should seem to change along with the widening of the gap between the applied Rolex logo, and that is obviously not the case here.

It's a redial​. Sorry.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I am by no means an expert like those above . In fact am now somewhat paranoid about vintage Rolex or Omega watches. For example when I look at the photo of ' a similar watch' to me the parallel strokes in the three E's in 'oyster perpetual ' are all different in length , thickness and gap to the one above and below. Would this also be a touched up dial?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts