WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll cut straight to the point...

Should I sell my Speedmaster FOIS and another watch, most likely 1984 blue Tudor Sub 76100 (lovely watch but worn less than others in my collection) in order to get the new 1957 Speedmaster? Or am I a tool for even considering it?

DSCF2035.JPG + DSCF2193.JPG < DSC04366.JPG ?

·
Registered
310 Posts
No, you are not a tool for considering it :) Personally, I would not do that, but that's because I really like both of the watches you mentioned. However, if you do not wear your Tudor much, and really want that '57, then go for it.

Reactions: imagwai

·
Registered
451 Posts
To each his own. The FOIS is a beautiful watch in it's own right, and has many vintage elements to it. To me, thankfully, it doesn't have the fake tritium colored lume.

The heart wants what the heart wants, so if the new version sings to you go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Controversial opinion: If you don't wear your watches, and would rather wear something else, you should trade-up!

That said, make sure you really want the 1957, because you're trading 2 stellar watches towards it.

The 1957 will probably become very collectible in years to come, so might not be such a bad deal on paper but at this point any such notions are just speculation.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Love the watch. Not so much the faux tritium patina.

What if they released a vintage inspired watch with light milky green lume instead of burnt yellow (old tritium) or white (superluminova). You know, the color of the tritium of the vintage watch as it appeared when brand new. It's like traveling back in time vs dusting off some NOS watch in some collectors stuffy attic. I'm kidding a bit, but serious about the fact that I think it would look a lot better.

Isn't the point of these releases to give the owner a brand NEW watch that is an exact replica of a now discontinued model.

That being said, I still prefer the '57 over the FOIS.

·
Banned
140 Posts
The way I look at it you should make sure you don't need that Tudor before you flip it. Every collection, large or small, should have a watch that can handle water. We know the Speedys have limited water resistance. Do you live a lifestyle that includes water sports, or lots of beach time? If so, you may regret selling the Tudor. It is a great watch for vacation time because it also dresses beautifully. As for the FOIS, it is the classic Speedy. That is a tough one to give up in my opinion. However, that 57 commemorative is going to look awesome on the right leather strap! Given the right circumstances I would go for it.

·
Registered
12,448 Posts
No way, mate!

Do not do it!

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
I wouldn't do it, BUT if you're not wearing the the FOIS and Tudor much and think you'll get more enjoyment from the new Speedy, you should do it. The most expensive watches are the ones that don't get worn.

·
Registered
986 Posts
You would regret selling that Tudor unless you sold it to me because I'd rock the hell out of it and make you proud!

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
I'd keep the Tudor, you'll have a very hard time replacing it should you want to do so.

Save up and then sell the FOIS when the proceeds from it will complete the funds for the '57.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Definitely don't sell the Tudor. I agree with a prior commentator: sell the FOIS only when its extra funds will allow you to get the '57. I like the '57 a lot, and frankly, there are no shortages of FOIS to buy if you ever regretted selling it (that said, I don't know if there is anything inparticular about yours that makes it "special").

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I really like your Tudor and FOIS, but I understand the appeal of trying something new, but that gorgeous Tudor would be hard to reacquire like others have mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Personally, I would not take that deal...

Check out the 57 Speedy in the flesh a few times before you make any decisions. It's a shame it's an LE, because it kind of forces your hand.. I think you have two amazing watches fit for all occasions. The FOIS is the Speedy I'd buy next personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: imagwai

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Now you have 2 watches you wear (one less than the other but still) and you swap them for one very expensive watch ...which you are going to wear ever day like you wore the others? Or will it become your safe queen Christmas only watch? I am not a big fan of the new trilogy, so I wouldn't do it....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts