WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had this for a while, spent a lazy Saturday working on it :-!

This is a 1958 284 (30 T4 SC PC AM 17 Jewel), shared with the Railmaster and Ranchero.

As you can see, the winding/setting mechanism was pretty messed up and rusty - the set lever had snapped/rusted through, the set lever screw was a seized mess plus lots of rust on the lever, set bridge etc. Some rust on the crown and ratchet wheels. Watch was not running.

The set lever was pretty hard to find, I ended up sourcing a second hand one - and a new set lever screw. I decided to salvage everything else, as the parts are simply getting hard and expensive to source, and it is probably better to save them for a better watch or one where a little surface pitting cannot be lived with :-x

Objective is a well running, functional watch - maybe even a beater. Due to the dial, this one will never be a perfect resto.

In parts (most not all), after the first clean

Cleaned (lighter fluid, peg wood and elbow grease - and my favorite, electric toothbrush :-!) and ready for assembly

Train

and barrel

Derusted and oiled setting mechanism

Polishing the rust off the ratchet and crown wheels took a long time, and are not perfect.

Victory - running (no top jewel yet)

front

Cased, a good size @ 36mm.

Rough dial, but fine and wearable on the wrist. The case has nice bombe lugs.

I'm wearing it today

Crown is very worn and a new one is on the way. Although the replacement doesn't have the small Mercedes symbol inside the Omega symbol indicating an early Naiad. I'll fit a new stem at the same time.

So that was my first Omega repair/service. Quite a nice movement to work on, the plating held up well, and the parts fitted snugly. What I liked best was all the oversized screws - much easier to work with than the usual ones. :-!

Omega Museum says...

GENTS' LEATHER STRAP

Reference
CK 2892

International collection
1954 - 1958

Movement
Type: Manual winding (mechanical) Caliber number: 283 / 284 Cal. 283 Created in 1949, 17 jewels
Cal. 284 Created in 1955, 17 jewels Both with central sweep-second hand

Case
Stainless steel Dimensions: Ø36 mm

Case back
Press-in Full metal

Dial
With hand-riveted gold hour markers and gold "dauphine" hands

Crystal
Armoured hesalite

Bracelet
Leather

Water resistance
30 meters

More product information
Case : round (36 mm diameter), with "O-ring" gasket For leather straps of 18 mm lug-size International Collection : 1954-1958 Swiss retail price (1958) : CHF 185.-
Also available in 14K gold-cap with SS case back (KO 2892, CHF 270.-), 14K solid gold (OJ 2892, CHF 575.-) and 18K solid gold (OT 2892, CHF 695.-). Replaced former ref. 2792

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Astonishing result. Congrats. Used plenty of tea on the rust?

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
That is a good looking Seamaster, well done.
I think the dial looks fine, far better than many vintage
Omegas I've seen.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Super result! Considering the horrible redials that are around with this movement, I would prefer this dial - it might not be perfect, but it is more than good enough. Thanks for saving this watch for the afterworld (and Yourself off course). :)

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I am wearing it again today - it is keeping good time :-!

The dial looks worse or better than the photos above depending on the viewing angle. No, I won't get it redialed - I don't think they would do the job right. From the images I have found on the net, it seems that the tick marks are always in the wrong place.

Yes, tea was used - both for me and for the watch :-d

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
congrats love to do something like that but i would be like a typical mechanic, so whats this bolt for lol. didnt realise they were shifting some of the omega vintage over here, again what a result

·
Registered
994 Posts
A truly remarkable transformation, Well done!!!

A question though. Have you reused the old crown? I am sure you realise that rust in the keyless works means a shot crown gasket. If you use this watch as a beater the problem will reappear very soon. This could also spread to the dial. If I were you I would replace the crown and install a fresh case back gasket as well.

Aditya

PS. Just read your post again and I see that a new crown is on the way :)

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
BTW folks, have a look at aditya's blog. Awesome stuff.b-)

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...I see that a new crown is on the way :)
Yep. The crown has arrived - ordered by case reference, although it does seem slightly different in detail and perhaps a bit larger (or the original was more worn that I imagined). I also did replace the 0-ring when I cased the movement, so it should all be water-tight again. I don't want to tackle that rust a second time :-d

At least I can wind the thing without busting my fingers now.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yep. The crown has arrived - ordered by case reference, although it does seem slightly different in detail and perhaps a bit larger (or the original was more worn that I imagined). I also did replace the 0-ring when I cased the movement, so it should all be water-tight again. I don't want to tackle that rust a second time :-d

At least I can wind the thing without busting my fingers now.

Excellent! Your thoroughness is admirable. Might I enquire about the source of the crown?

Aditya

·
Premium Member
12,919 Posts
congrats on the nice job ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts