WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to this site and not in the watch business nor a collector..just wanted some info on a recent find..I recently acquired a massive amount of watch dials from an estate. the previous owner i was told was a watchmaker of sorts..I found these two old wine boxes with literally thousands of mostly generic watch dials. neatly packed in foam and cardboard sleeves. hand notes dating between 1968-1972..i have dug into one case so far and sorted them into bags..im curious about a couple things..is this a pile of scrap metal? some appear to be silver-plate or wondering if they could be sterling though not marked..most appear generic with the exception of vantage and buren..sorry for the rotation of the pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
What a great find! Don't ask me for what you can use all these dials,but its great! :)
Its not scrap metal, you can for example give them away, put them up for sale in a bulk or select the few ones that are more interesting and sell them individually in the next 20years....or make some kind of art piece from them,start to collect NOS watch dials etc.;-). As said, no clear idea,but still a nice find(at least for WIS)

PS. not a good idea that you sorted them this way, they will get damaged, dials are pretty much delicate items to handle....

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Throwing them in bunches like that in plastic bags is the worst thing todo...
Your mission is to find out what caliber they are made for because otherwise they are pretty much useless for potential buyers who are sourcing for a dial replacement

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm sure the prior owner is turning over in his grave as you've tossed these well sorted and protected dials into bags like so.

This would be like coming on a trove of vintage guitars and just tossing them all into a shipping container uncased for 'safe keeping'.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
I must remember to not open this thread ever again, just makes me sad :D :(
Protected front, protected dial feets.
Then out of nowhere comes mr i-do-not-give-a... and to the bags they go!!!

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
"Sorted them into bags"... No. Just no. It's just something you JUST DON'T DO! It's like using a Meissen porcelain plate as a frisbee...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
THEY WERE ALREADY PACKAGED.

Edit: Send me some of those black dials because they look awesome. On the bright side, with tons of the same dial there's gotta be at least one that didn't get damaged..

Reactions: busmatt
1 - 10 of 10 Posts