WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom just recently showed me this watch that was my fathers. He had left it behind 30 years ago to sit motionless in an envelope. Obviously handed down from my grandfather as his name is etched in the back, as well as "Indianapolis 500 winner 1959 - Second place 1960."

It wasn't hard to find that this was a Gallet Multichron but I hadn't seen the WWW Leader Card symbol in a google search or image search. A little more digging and It seemed that Roger Ward came in 1st at the Indy 500 in '59 and second in '60. He drove the Leader Card 500 roadster built by mechanic A.J. Watson. For the Leader Card Racing team owned by Bob Wilke. Three Ws.

It must have been a gift as my grandfather was a news writer.

Has anyone seen something like this before?

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
The provenance is interesting, but I don't know much about it. However, we can certainly give you some information about the watch.

Not a Multichron 45 obviously, since the minute accumulator only goes to 30 minutes, not 45. Perhaps a non-clamshell Multichron 30M (although the Petite also had a 30-minute recorder), in somewhat rough shape, and I suspect that the hands and crown have been replaced. I can't see the pushers, are they missing? Perhaps you can measure the diameter, in mm, excluding the crown, and show more photos of the pushers and the inside.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The provenance is interesting, but I don't know much about it. However, we can certainly give you some information about the watch.

Not a Multichron 45 obviously, since the minute accumulator only goes to 30 minutes, not 45. Perhaps a non-clamshell Multichron 30M (although the Petite also had a 30-minute recorder), in somewhat rough shape, and I suspect that the hands and crown have been replaced. I can't see the pushers, are they missing? Perhaps you can measure the diameter, in mm, excluding the crown, and show more photos of the pushers and the inside.
Very interesting thank you for the reply.

I honestly just saw a picture of the 45 and assumed that was it because the dial, hands, crown and round bumpers all looked the same. But you are right the recorder isn't 45 it's 30. I assumed this was at least a 60 - 64 because of the dates on the back of the watch and the 30m Multichron wasn't being made after '51?

Bumpers are not assembled on the watch, but they are in the bag with the watch.

I only had access to it briefly so I couldn't take the back off and take a look but I did try it on and it seemed bigger than my 33mm Certina and smaller than my 37mm Partitio.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Hello BEFson,
As you found out, this is a MultiChron 30. The date is certainly interesting, I would have thought the Valjoux caliber would be newer than 1960. I'm assuming the watch was presented in 1960 to commemorate a win and a 2nd place finish.

The caliber is the Valjoux 773x, and I would think this is probably a V7733 variant.

I've no idea on the WWW Leader Card either, but it is a cool logo.
Gallet certainly has a long history in auto racing, and especially with the Indianapolis 500.

If you don't mind, I'll send you a PM to discuss this further. I'd like to post some photos of it on the Gallet facebook page.

~Daniel

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
the movement in this must be a Venus 188, Daniel - Valjoux took over the production rights of the cal. 188 when Venus SA closed down in late 1966 and then produced it as the Valjoux cal. 7730 until 1969, when it was replaced by the cal. 773.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the movement in this must be a Venus 188, Daniel - Valjoux took over the production rights of the cal. 188 when Venus SA closed down in late 1966 and then produced it as the Valjoux cal. 7730 until 1969, when it was replaced by the cal. 773.
You're probably right as this is the exact same watch no?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think, you are right and in this watch, you will find a Venus 188 movement.
Please try to save this interesting watch....!
Nice find.

Best regards,
Peter

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Gallet & Co has taken interest in this piece, and offered to do a special service/ restoration for the owners. They'd like to take some professional photos of it, as it fits right in to their current Jim Clark racing watch series.

This racer would have been active the same time as Jim Clark, so that's pretty cool.

List of Indy 500 Winners

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
Gallet & Co has taken interest in this piece, and offered to do a special service/ restoration for the owners. They'd like to take some professional photos of it, as it fits right in to their current Jim Clark racing watch series.

This racer would have been active the same time as Jim Clark, so that's pretty cool.

List of Indy 500 Winners
Be very cautious using Gallet's service division, they butchered the case on my Multichron 45M by over-polishing the lugs. I would get a very clear description in writing of what they will do. If they are going to work on the case at all, make sure they make a commitment to refinish it to the original factory standards, and not just polish out the scratches. Also, make sure you are happy with any work they propose to do on the dial.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
and we'd even have proof this watch was worn by the racing driver ;)

List of Indy 500 Winners

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Be very cautious using Gallet's service division, they butchered the case on my Multichron 45M by over-polishing the lugs. I would get a very clear description in writing of what they will do. If they are going to work on the case at all, make sure they make a commitment to refinish it to the original factory standards, and not just polish out the scratches. Also, make sure you are happy with any work they propose to do on the dial.
Just curious how long it took the service department to get back to you before you sent your watch to them?

It's been 6 weeks since I've heard from anyone. I've emailed, called, asked another to try and help and nothing. I can't even get my foot in the door.

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
Just curious how long it took the service department to get back to you before you sent your watch to them?

It's been 6 weeks since I've heard from anyone. I've emailed, called, asked another to try and help and nothing. I can't even get my foot in the door.
Interesting that you mention that. I recall that the first time I contacted Gallet about servicing a watch, weeks went by without a response, and ultimately I gave up and took the watch elsewhere for servicing. Then, I got a response from them, but it was already too late.

A couple of months later, I bought another Gallet watch and again contacted them about servicing it. If I recall correctly, I waited again for a week or two and then I got a response, and I sent them the watch. I just reviewed the email chain, and that was inmmid-November of 2015, and I was required to pay $750 up front for the service. The invoice said I could expect to receive the serviced watch after 90-120 days. As of March 2016 (4 months later), I hadn't heard anything, so I asked for an update, but got no response. A week later, I asked again for an update, but got no response. After yet another week I sent a third email asking for an update, and got a response saying that they didn't know the status of my watch but they would check. Three weeks later I hadn't heard from them, so I send another email reminding him that he said he would check on the status ... no response. Three weeks later I sent yet another request for an update, and he responded, saying it would be ready in two weeks. It was not ready in two weeks, but it was ready 5 weeks later, in mid-June 2016, 7 months after I sent them the watch and paid (twice as long as the estimate).

This is just one anecdote, and perhaps others have had a more positive experience with them, but I would not send them another watch, paying twice what my local watchmakers would charge, to have my communications ignored, for them to take twice the estimated time to service the watch, and to receive the watch back with overpolished lugs. I was a sucker back then, but I'm not a sucker any more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting that you mention that. I recall that the first time I contacted Gallet about servicing a watch, weeks went by without a response, and ultimately I gave up and took the watch elsewhere for servicing. Then, I got a response from them, but it was already too late.

A couple of months later, I bought another Gallet watch and again contacted them about servicing it. If I recall correctly, I waited again for a week or two and then I got a response, and I sent them the watch. I just reviewed the email chain, and that was inmmid-November of 2015, and I was required to pay $750 up front for the service. The invoice said I could expect to receive the serviced watch after 90-120 days. As of March 2016 (4 months later), I hadn't heard anything, so I asked for an update, but got no response. A week later, I asked again for an update, but got no response. After yet another week I sent a third email asking for an update, and got a response saying that they didn't know the status of my watch but they would check. Three weeks later I hadn't heard from them, so I send another email reminding him that he said he would check on the status ... no response. Three weeks later I sent yet another request for an update, and he responded, saying it would be ready in two weeks. It was not ready in two weeks, but it was ready 5 weeks later, in mid-June 2016, 7 months after I sent them the watch and paid (twice as long as the estimate).

This is just one anecdote, and perhaps others have had a more positive experience with them, but I would not send them another watch, paying twice what my local watchmakers would charge, to have my communications ignored, for them to take twice the estimated time to service the watch, and to receive the watch back with overpolished lugs. I was a sucker back then, but I'm not a sucker any more.
That's really not what I wanted to hear.

I'm not too worried about the money but ignoring communication over a long time regardless of how busy they are is disappointing.

I was genuinely so elated when I was told by them that it was a valuable artifact and that they were taking interest in the watch. I thought that they were going to help me out, now I'm worried that if I send it to them I won't ever get it back.

Any recommendations for someone who could fix this? Or any watchmakers in the Midwest?

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
That's really not what I wanted to hear.

I'm not too worried about the money but ignoring communication over a long time regardless of how busy they are is disappointing.

I was genuinely so elated when I was told by them that it was a valuable artifact and that they were taking interest in the watch. I thought that they were going to help me out, now I'm worried that if I send it to them I won't ever get it back.

Any recommendations for someone who could fix this? Or any watchmakers in the Midwest?
I don't think they're dishonest, but their customer service is terrible, and they don't do a particularly good job restoring vintage watches (in fact, you can't trust them not to devalue the watch by mistreating it). So whether or not the money means much to you, I really don't see any good reason to send your watch to them.

One of the sticky threads at the top of the forum has some search engines to look for local watchmakers. Also, sometimes if you start a thread asking for specific recommendations in your local area, you might get some personal recommendations (but not always).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
A close report here. The OP decided to just sell the heirloom on ebay.
Most definitely not, I still have it.

After a miscommunication with Gallet on whom the watch belonged to, they wanted a full service price +some to fix the missing pushers. (After what I thought was a discounted offer because it was of historical value) It wasn't in our budget so we said no, and have been looking locally to have it worked on.

If someone else sold one I'd like to know. Send me a PM?

Edit - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gal...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Nice to know others exist, but this wasn't mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts