WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw this watch at an antique store for 450 dollars, which seems a little high. The paperwork says 1970s stainless steel, original dial. Can anyone help me determine the value of this watch, here are the details:

stainless steel
dial reads:
Tradition
17 jewels,
selfwinding

tradition.JPG photo-2.JPG

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
Tradition = Sears.

Damage to bezel is unfixable.

We can't discuss value here, but for $450 I would be expecting something much much better.
Yes... and it is probably a pin lever movement too.

Keep searching!

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
It s a nice looking diving watch. As long as you like it. Who cares? And $450 , it's not $4500. Just enjoy it's beauty will do.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick feedback guys. Yes 450 for a watch that originally sold through Sears is high. Perhaps a poor man's Heuer from sears could be worth that price.

Putting it in perspective i tried on a omega speedmaster 3510 reduced size automatic for 1750 dollars, nearly 4x the price as this watch, a much better time piece

·
Moderator at Large
53,071 Posts
Way too much. Case is most likely a chrome case with stainless steel back, very common those times.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The funny thing is, the store owner claimed that it is on sale via consignment from an appraiser from the "Antique Road Show", ....,
I'm glad you mentioned that cracked bezel piece, that would also bug me after a while...

Way too much. Case is most likely a chrome case with stainless steel back, very common those times.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
And I would never drop that kind of coin without a picture of the movement.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a physical store, good point on checking the movement.

The best advice I heard here is to hold off

Lastly, this is a great website and this is my favorite forum folder- thanks for keeping up a great forum...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I've had several Tradition watches and the mechancial ones have all been 17J AS movements.

The case material will be marked on the back.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the watch is still at the same store, unsold- new price $350 before negotiation - tempting indeed..

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I've had several Tradition watches and the mechancial ones have all been 17J AS movements.

The case material will be marked on the back.

I owned this exact same Tradition a few years back. The bakelite on mine was in perfect shape, though. The movement was an A. Schild 17 jewel, which are wonderful movements! My vintage Blancpain uses the same powerplant. Case is stainless. I know, many of the other Sears branded vintage watches are nickel plated, but this model is legit.

I did sell mine for $375, and that was back in 2006.....but I would also say that if you like something, then simply buy it and enjoy it! To be honest...I miss mine, It was a pretty cool watch.

Reactions: Triton9
1 - 14 of 14 Posts