WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

601 - 620 of 1444 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Now that Thomas is no longer selling the 1963, is WatchUnique the best place to get one? Or are there other good options? seagull1963.com seems sold out at the moment.

I'm actually in Beijing at present, but the 1963 sells for nearly $1,000 at the Seagull boutiques here! No discounts available, at least not to this single-language American. ::grin::

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
Thomas has sapphire version in 38mm, or did recently. If you want acrylic, watchunique has those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Now that Thomas is no longer selling the 1963, is WatchUnique the best place to get one? Or are there other good options? seagull1963.com seems sold out at the moment.

I'm actually in Beijing at present, but the 1963 sells for nearly $1,000 at the Seagull boutiques here! No discounts available, at least not to this single-language American. ::grin::
I noticed that too. It is cheaper form the non-Chinese suppliers than on taobao. Quite frankly, you are not going to beat taobao prices anywhere in the botiques.

The other problem is that, being in China, I really cannot get away with wearing a Chinese watch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another question: Is the 1963 sold by the official Seagull boutiques in Beijing actually made by Seagull in Tainjin?

Is the one sold by Seagull themselves the same as Thomas's? The same as WatchUnique's? Or yet a third version?

·
Registered
438 Posts
So blessed to have an Sea-Gull AD right here in Singapore that stocks the 1963 reissues! Just got it at a great price together with the Wu Xing!

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
Admittedly off topic, but does your screen name translate differently in Singapore than it does in the US? Interesting choice...

So blessed to have an Sea-Gull AD right here in Singapore that stocks the 1963 reissues! Just got it at a great price together with the Wu Xing!

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
If cocktails are mentioned, I think there's some obligation to disclose the ingredients and provide a picture. As you know, without a picture it didn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FrakkenPrawn

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Nice to see the 19 Zuan dial. Is it still possible to get this version, instead of the 21 Zuan version.

I know the watch has a 21 jewel movement, but as I understand it the original had a 19 jewel movement, and thus it had 19 Zuan on the dial. As it's a replica of that watch, I think it should have the same text on the dial as the original had.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice to see the 19 Zuan dial. Is it still possible to get this version, instead of the 21 Zuan version.

I know the watch has a 21 jewel movement, but as I understand it the original had a 19 jewel movement, and thus it had 19 Zuan on the dial. As it's a replica of that watch, I think it should have the same text on the dial as the original had.
This watch is 3 years old now I think. I picked it up second hand a few months ago. Just got lucky. Cost me $220 shipped.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I finaly pulled the trigger and ordered the 38 mm with acrylic and display case back from watchunique. Should arrive in a few days. I have a braided nato laying around that should do the trick.

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
Congrats. You'll love it! It actually looks pretty good on the included NATO.

Reactions: joins

·
Registered
720 Posts
While I wanted the dial with the original text above six o’clock (CHINA/Tianjin Watch Factory), I’m resolved to the fact that this isn’t available in the sapphire version. Was it ever?

I read this thread front to back about a month ago. Apologies, everyone, if I’ve missed this information. I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I finaly pulled the trigger and ordered the 38 mm with acrylic and display case back from watchunique. Should arrive in a few days. I have a braided nato laying around that should do the trick.
I am still on the fence about whether to go for the more original acrylic or the sapphire... I have so few sapphire watches that I always feel pressured to try to get the sapphire crystal option if one is available. How does the look of it on this watch compare to the acrylic?

·
Registered
575 Posts
A bit OT, but why is sapphire desired in general? I men plastic is easy to buff up to look as new. Sapphire.. not so easy.

Back on topic, I'm currently drawn to the black dial version.. I guess I want em all :)

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
word on the street is that acrylic beats sapphire hands down in terms of aesthetics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
Specific to the 1963.

·
Registered
290 Posts
A bit OT, but why is sapphire desired in general? I men plastic is easy to buff up to look as new. Sapphire.. not so easy.

Back on topic, I'm currently drawn to the black dial version.. I guess I want em all :)
Plastic is easy to buff, but you are going to have to buff it, even if you baby something that you're trying to wear out and about, whereas sapphire is very difficult to even put a scratch on in the first place.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Specific to the 1963.

I think the acrylic looks like a more natural fit with the 1963 design and it is certainly more correct in terms of "vintage." But I'm leaning towards sapphire for the following reasons:

1. I know that watchunique.com has the acrylic version with the original dial text, which I like, but...

2. I want an exhibition case back and I dislike the case backs watchunique.com offers.

3. I know that I can buy the case back that I want from Thomas or on the bay for around $40, but that's a bit of a hassle and puts the price near or over sapphire.

4. I can easily order the 38mm sapphire from longislandwatch.com, a forum sponsor. Not sure I want to deal with shipping from China/HK or the Netherlands.

5. I've read here that some folks have had issues with the acrylic crystal being lose/not very well secured.

6. I'm thinking that the sapphire version might be very slightly more water resistant, even though I really only need resistance for the rainstorm I can't avoid. That's about it, but still...

I appreciate your thoughts or feedback.

601 - 620 of 1444 Posts