WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For sale is this 1964, black dial Rolex Tudor Oyster Date self-winding watch, reference 7964. This features the "Big Rose" applied Tudor logo and applied markers. The case width is 34mm without crown. Standard men's midsize of that era, but wears larger than it's actual size due to not having a bezel. I am not the original owner and while the watch was running when I purchased it, I decided to have it professionally serviced and completely rebuilt by Metropolitan Watch Works late last year. I received it a few months ago and it's functioning well and looking great. The 25 jewel automatic movement is a Swiss ETA 2472 and is original. The inside of the case back is marked 7964. It is additionally marked "Montre Tudor SA, Geneva, Switzerland, Patented, Stainless Steel." The case number between the lugs is matching 7964. The other side of the case is marked 546078xx. The case overall is in great condition for it's 55 years and has drilled lug holes for the spring bar. My watch maker said the dial is original but most likely has been touched up at some point. The watch is all original except for the dauphine style hands, which happened at some point in it's life. And while these hands look very similar to the originals of that period, the giveaway is that they're lumed. Sourcing original hands proved difficult so I chose to keep these. Some of the numbers on the date wheel were faded so I had it replaced with a more fresh Rolex date wheel of the same vintage. I also had a new Rolex domed acrylic crystal installed with proper 2.5x magnification cyclops. The Rolex crown is original, but the threaded shaft tube had to be replaced. It also has a new case back gasket, but hasn't been water pressure tested as I have no intention of wearing this watch while swimming. Please note as a point of reference: the internal movement photos (rotor and case back pics) were taken prior to it's service. Metropolitan did an excellent job restoring this brilliant timepiece. These older Tudor big rose models (as are most all vintage Rolex and Tudor models) are sought after for a reason; they're their design is true to "form follows function" and they were the best built watches of their era, as they still are today, 55 years later. Restoring vintage watch can get expensive, but it's worth it to have a watch that's now going last another 50 years. I am not a dealer, but a watch collector and enthusiast. I'm looking to fund some new watch projects and offering this up for sale, as it's not getting much wrist time due to other watches. The Tudor will come with a new aftermarket stainless steel bracelet, a new stainless steel vintage style rivet bracelet and a new 19mm black Hermes style textured leather watch strap. $1400 USD within conUS only, which includes Priority Mail shipping with tracking, signature and full insurance. Please message with any questions and I will try to answer with what limited knowledge I have. Thanks!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts