WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New to the forum. I bought a 1969 chronomaster a few months ago. I dont wear it regularly as i work in construction and dont want it damaged. However on longweekends i notice that it stops!

How active do you have to be for it to not require any winding at all? For instance often i would wake up in the morning (i dont wear it while sleeping), put the watch on and notice that it is still running. I would then not wind it at all. The watch would then stop during the day. This happened even as a tourist walking around a new city etc so its not like im half asleep in an office or anything.

So, is it standard practise to wind the watch in the morning? I am thinking of taking it back to the dealer i bought it (bought it new with a warranty direct from a zenith shop).

Is there a test i can do that would tell me i have a faulty automatic winder?

Apart from this i love the watch, just sick of having to wind it up all the time!

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Hi, thanks for posting!

Your watch can be wound through the stem or through the automatic winder. To test the automatic winder portion, when the watch has stopped, swirl it both left and right holding the watch parallel to the ground. Kind of like swirling wine, but with no worry of spilling anything. Do this for at least five minutes. If the watch stops in a couple of hours, then you have a problem. If it goes over half a day, you may not have been winding the watch through your movements.

Hopefully that helps. It is not a definitive course of action, but may help guide you in determining the problem.

Cheers!

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this Dan,

I did the test as you suggested and nothing happened! I have recently returned the watch and they said that the automatic winding function appeared to be not working correctly (they could tell something was not correct as the automatic winder moved too freely). Hopefully i will get the watch back in a few days!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts