WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Thought I'd bore you all with some pics and opinion on my vintage Seiko.

I saw the same model but with a black face, a fellow WIS had picked up at a car boot sale and instantly new I'd have to have one. I love the elegant proportions of the watch, the beautiful iridescent dial, those, oh so classy, dagger hands and the delicate crosshairs. Well you get the picture, I was smitten.

A search of the forums came to nothing so in desperation (you know how it is) I took to ebay. On the whole I've been extremely fortunate when it comes to watch purchases on ebay, but I'm still hesitant to rely on it. In general I view it as a form of gambling and therefore only risk money that I can afford to loose. Anyway it didn't take long for this particular example to appear on my radar. The pics were good, the seller seemed truthful in his description and highlighted a mark on the face and although it wasn't the black dialed model I'd seen, I preferred the dial colour. The clincher was the price, I assumed it would sky rocket out of all proportion in the dying minutes of the auction but much to my amazement it didn't. So I went for it and won. The next few weeks were anxious ones, would it turn up, had the sellers pics been doctored or had the watch been photographed from a flattering angle etc, etc, I'm sure we've all been there.

So here's what turned up.

To say I'm impressed is an understatement, this watch is beautiful, extremely elegant and keeps excellent time on the wrist (it does loose 10 minutes a day on a winder but mere seconds if you wear it). In fact this movement puts the 7S26 in both my monsters and my 007 to shame. The watch is in excellent shape, the only flaw on the entire watch is a small mark between 10 and 11.

The only thing I did was replace the pretty horrible non original bracelet with a nice strap I thought was in keeping with the Sportsmatic name and the period and give it a bit of a clean. In thruth it didn't really need the clean it's just something I do as part of the bonding process on all my acquisitions.

Unlike most of todays offerings from Seiko, which can be a bit gaudy (an understatement in a lot of cases), this has a simplicity and elegance that I really love. In fact this watch inspired the search for a modern day Seiko that has all the same panache. The result was me buying the SCVS003 (yet to arrive) hence the questions on my other thread.

And the price I paid for all this, a trifling $50 + $15 for postage. A real bargain in my view.

So there you have it, hope you enjoyed the read and my pics and if anyone else has a vintage Seiko that they really like lets see them. This could be the start of another collection theme for me (oh no, what have I started)

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
84 Posts
can you repost the pics? I found that my father purchased a sportsmaster when he served in the military in Vietnam. I recently brought it to my watch shop for restoration. Total repair will run 170. one of the number notches fell off so that needs to be tacked back on, case needs a full buff and polish, power cell is getting replaced (kinetic watch) and a new crystal will be put on. I meant to ask the shop what size the lug was because i also want to purchase a new band. My dad's birthday is coming up next month so i figured a restored sportsmaster would do the trick.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts