WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted here re the 1969 Speedy found in a deceased man’s effects.

His son didn’t want it, knows my hobby, and entrusted me to have it evaluated and prepared for sale.

This done, I presented him with all the information and we agreed a fair price.

The watch travelled across Europe, Africa and India with his father, who was a man of action, a missionary, killer of a man eating lion and general lover, and liver, of life.

The watch carried the scars to match, and we didn’t want to erase all, so a light polish and service (new crystal, crown and pushers) is all that was done.

I’m proud to add this to my collection.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention....

It's running at +3 a day!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Very nice!
With my amateur eye, its amazing how little has changed between yours and the contemporary models.
I hope mine looks that cool after a couple decades... and runs as well too!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I have such difficulty with vintage watches because I like my watches looking new. I rarely wear one of my good watches for outdoor activities other than maybe a picnic. However, this watch and backstory is pretty cool. When you restore these older storied watches, how far do you go? Basic mechanical service? Absolutely. Replace parts that need replacing? Of course. Polish or replace the old crystal? Guess that matters on the condition. The real rub is the dials an how much refreshing of the case and bracelet do you do? For me, none of my good watches would ever fall into the condition this '69 Speedmaster was in. If you saw my 1989 TT Datejust, on casual inspection it looks like a safe queen, up close, you can see the fine wear and tear. I've owned it for almost 30 years so it's an example of how I care for my watches. Original sapphire crystal, Jubilee bracelet with light to moderately light stretch, replacement dial in the early 2000's (silver stick with yellow gold indices because I was having some trouble with the lack of contrast of the original champagne stick marker dial).

From my perspective, you did it just right. Well done.

One other little thought, I have some old family photos that were hanging on the wall at my grandmother's home. Even though the frames are pretty old now (60-70 years) and not what *I* would have picked, I've kept these photos exactly as I received them other than a little cleaning of the glass and frames because I want to look at these photos and see them the same way my grandparents saw them.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Well done! That's a beauty with a great story, and you had the perfect service done. I hope it gives you years of service and you can add to the story. Makes me want to wear mine more often.

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts
very good job and great accuracy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts