WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this watch today (I had previously asked about its homage-ness to Rolex datejust. It is not!)

Anyway, the Wittnauer is in really good shape physically and aesthetically. It does not run. It winds, but makes a high frequency/pitch sound (like rubbing beads together).

No movement photo because it's a top loader and I do not have the right tool. Any guesses on caliber type?

I paid $25, so not too pricey. The band is unsigned and brassing a little on the gold plated pieces, but it's not in bad shape. Any idea if original Wittnauer bracelets would have been signed or possible this unsigned one is original?

One more thing. I see "10K Gold Cap" on caseback. Would this be gold filled, plated or some other variety?

This will be serviced by WUS member YuiryV, cleaned up and given to my Dad for his 76th birthday.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Gold cap is more or less a particularly thick type of gold plating, I believe. The case-back looks like SS. So perhaps the bezel is yellow gold capped. I was assuming that the case itself was SS, but I suppose it could be white gold capped.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think gold cap is synomous with bezel here, so not sure if they are referring to the cap as the bezel or the thickness of gold plating.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
If I recall correctly, the Geneve was a mid range line in the Wittnauer lineup. The fact that it is gold capped instead of plated means that the watch was sold at a higher price point. This means that the bezel is probably stainless steel(like the rest of the watch) instead of pot metal so that if the gold wears out then it is still good looking and the metal is durable.

It might be a D11 or D10 movement. It probably has Swiss movement cased in Hong Kong

Nice watch

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Upon closer inspection, it needs a new MS, but the good news is I found a donor movement. It's also in the capable hands of YuiryV.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The watch has been serviced and is on its way back to me. I plan to give this to my dad for his birthday in May. Thanks to WUS member YuiryV for another job well done on the overhaul. The only part that needed replacing was a MS taken from another Wittnauer that is complete (minus MS) and in very good condition. I plan to put the donor back on the market.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Well done. I'm quite a fan of Wittnauer, and your's does the Brand proud.

And another thing: I reckon most folks will see 100 Rolex, before they see one (1) like this...!

So: I'd rather wear this Wittnauer, and have US$3,000 in cash---wouldn't you?? Michael.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Beautiful! The watch cleaned up quite nice! I'm not a huge fan of two tone watches, but this one takes the cake! I hope your father wears it with pride and good health!

·
Premium Member
12,919 Posts
great catch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts