Registered
8,573 Posts
Very neat, thank you for sharing!

Reactions: mav

·
Premium Member
7,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Of note...some evidence of rust on the hour recorder lock...

View attachment 16176529

Other parts have discolouration as well.

The hour recorder operating lever is the old style, so this part should be upgraded:

View attachment 16176530

Cheers, Al
Yes, I'm aware of the discoloration of some parts. The photo was taken prior to cleaning, servicing, lubricating, etc.

Also I asked them to not change out anything that didn't absolutely need to be, not even the hesalite crystal which they usually do. They did stabilize the lume on the chrono seconds and hour hands. There was some cracking, especially with the chrono second hand that's noticeable in the photo.

Thanks for the heads up though.

·
Premium Member
39,876 Posts
Very interesting pictures for sure of a great looking watch.

Enjoy!

Reactions: mav

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
pfff those tiny screws are hard to see even with my glasses. let alone working with them.
a watch with a Soul. Love the Patina on the dial.
looks great. wear it for many more years in good health.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
pfff those tiny screws are hard to see even with my glasses. let alone working with them.
Those screws are huge in watchmaking terms...the 861 uses a smooth balance (no screws) but on watches with screws on the balance, those are much smaller...

Here dynamic poising the balance to reduce poise errors and positional variation, using timing washers:

Balance screw holders are used to remove and install the screw from the rim of the balance:

Size comparison - from R-L a bridge screw from an 1861, then one from the watch I was working on (PP), and the far left is the balance screw with a timing washer installed. All in front of a regular 20 mm spring bar:

You have to be careful not to breathe too much when handling these, or they disappear...

·
Premium Member
7,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. Definitely makes you appreciate the art of watchmaking and watchmakers.

The watch itself has a decent backstory. It's a 1974 Speedmaster 145.022, my birth year watch. Supposedly, it was originally purchased at a military PAX exchange store in the mid-1970's. It was worn daily for 35+ years. When the original owner passed away, his son sold the watch on Ebay to a gentleman here in SoCal. He turned around to flip it for a small profit and eventually sold it to me. I've had it since 2011, and worn often.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
wow. some great photography (y) .
thanks Archer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts