WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just thought I'd share these shots. My father passed away about 2.5 years ago and left me his 1680 Rolex Submariner (which belonged to his father before him) and his 1967 XKE Jaguar. My dad kept both in great condition but unfortunately, it took two years to settle his estate. Thus the poor E-Type sat for a VERY long time. As I'm sure you all know, older cars hate to sit for long periods of time. The result was a massive oil coagulation in the engine that dropped oil pressure to dangerous levels. I recently got the Jag back from a full engine rebuild and was out driving it this morning. Couldn't help but snap a few shots of a vintage watch in a vintage car. Any shots you guys have of your watches in your favorite car?! Enjoy! (I included a picture of the other watch I inherited from my old man, a 1969 Heuer Autavia 2446C...this one was also his father's as well.)

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

DSC_8487.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,771 Posts
Very nice! Have a full shot of the Jag?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think you already have pictures of one of my favorite watches in my favorite car.

If you took a solid block of metal and cut away everything that did not look like a sports car, you would end up with a Jaguar E-Type.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MichaelsLumia900_000016.jpg

Couldn't agree with you more crwilsn, not a single line to be found on that thing. I have very fond memories of the car from my childhood. My dad and I spent a lot of time in it. My mom and dad actually had their first date in that car, and drove away from their wedding in it as well. It means the world to me, so it was very hard having it gone for a re-build for so long. They're a lot of work, but in my mind, totally worth it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had my eyes on a 68 2+2. The proportions are not near as pure as the coupe or convertible, but there was something in the look of that model that screamed 60s. Plus it's the only one I could squeeze my 6'3 frame into.

Alas someone talked me out of buying it due to practicality and steered me towards the Porsche 911. I have owned two (a 72S and a 964) and I am on my hunt for a 3rd.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had my eyes on a 68 2+2. The proportions are not near as pure as the coupe or convertible, but there was something in the look of that model that screamed 60s. Plus it's the only one I could squeeze my 6'3 frame into.

Alas someone talked me out of buying it due to practicality and steered me towards the Porsche 911. I have owned two (a 72S and a 964) and I am on my hunt for a 3rd.

Can't fault you in regards to the practicality. I love the car to death, but it is a nightmare to take care of. It seems the British poured everything into aesthetics and not much into the rest of the engineering. Don't get me wrong; the performance is impressive and on par or better with Ferraris of the era, but the electrical is hell on Earth. E-Types require constant maintenance, not unlike almost all other vintage British sports cars, but they sure are fun when everything, or at least most everything, is working correctly. I remember as a kid watching my dad drive the Jag, his old Submariner catching the light while we drove around with the top down, feels surreal now to be the driver and wear the watch.

·
Registered
640 Posts
That's a lovely story, and great photos. Congrats on getting the Jag restored. I'm sure your dad would be very happy to see you enjoying both the watch and the car.

PS: I won't be gracing this thread with any pictures of my functonal, but hardly glamorous, Mazda!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Thanks for sharing, all of your vintage items are amazing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts